A glass of red wine.

Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
edited April 2018 in Health and wellbeing
I am confused. One camp says a glass of red wine has antioxidants and is good for you and the other says its full of sugar and no good. Which one is it?
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Now that's a can of worms! Good luck sorting that one out; I have no idea!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Well if food labelling laws applied to wine you would know how much sugar was in it!  
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited April 2018
    Whoops that sounded a little harsh, sorry that wasn't the intent!  We have a neighbour who is a Winery and he often brags about the content of his grapes and it does make me wonder if food labelling applied we would have more of an idea of how many sugars and kilojules are in the product.  The grape grower waits until the sugar content is a certain level before picking and sending off to eventually end up in bottles. 

From www

The amount of sugar in wine grape influences potential alcohol content after fermentation, and the amount of residual sugars remaining in the wine. The Total Soluble Solids (TSS) in wine grapes is normally 99% sugars (glucose and fructose).

So I guess it is everything in moderation!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    There is a wine label "Early Harvest"...from memory it's a Lindeman's variety.  It's both lower calorie and lower alcohol for that reason!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I would so love to want a glass of red wine (although I know I probably shouldn't). The idea so appeals but the chemo tastebuds and tummy say "no".
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Happy to say wine was just about the only thing that tasted normal to me. Thank goodness for small mercies right.?
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi all there are good antioxidants in other red food sources such as black olives,cranberries blueberries even chocolate

Look up web site for Better heath food channel ...  the higher the alcoholic content the higher the kilojoule content
     so not just a sugar topic to consider 
    Enjoy the smaller glass of red maybe
    Cheers b
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Wine. Mmm.