Planning for the end of treatment

JennyD78
JennyD78 Member Posts: 69
edited April 2018 in General discussion

Hi All,

I finish chemo this week (after 6 months, yay!), I'll go in for a double mastectomy and node clearance on the 9th May then, all things going to plan, do 5 weeks of radiation starting about the 11th June and finishing around the 16th July.

One of the things keeping me positive is a plan to go away with a few friends once I'm all done and spend a week drinking margarita's in a private pool, occasionally leaving the pool to go to the spa for a massage etc.

What I'd love to hear from you experienced people is...how long post treatment finishing would you have felt comfortable travelling internationally?  Do you bounce back fairly quickly?  Obviously I'll have a chat to my medical team but would really appreciate your input too.

Jen

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Jen I was exhausted after Radiation for about 6wks minimum afterwards.... @primek what do you think ? 
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    For radiation the general rule is for every week of treatment you will feel the fatigue etc so for 6 wks of treatment expect to give yourself at least 6 wks recovery. But everyone is different so you might get your energy back sooner
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I didn't have radiotherapy but it took me 7 weeks to feel strong enough after chemo to even contemplate returning part time to work. It's 4 weeks after chemo before recovery starts. Meanwhile you are then doing radiotherapy. So eat  well. Rest lots. And start with gentle exercise each day and you will start feeling stronger. Baby  steps. 
  • Captaingrumpypants
    Captaingrumpypants Member Posts: 21
    I'm three weeks post-radiation today, and I'm off for a little holiday on Thursday (planned months ago). A relaxing farm stay in southern Queensland. At the time I'd intended to book in earlier, but held off to avoid school holidays. I'm very glad I didn't book it for any sooner, and that it's not far to travel and that it'll be a low-activity holiday. I can't imagine being ready for anything more active/distant for quite some weeks yet!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I am five weeks post my last TC chemo infusion and had four days away at the beach last week. It was a real tonic. I just kept to the same things that work for me at home, which is activity followed by rest, activity followed by rest. I overdid it one day which made the next a bit tougher, but it was just the thing for be in this odd time between chemo and the bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. Soul food.
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    I'll be having four weeks of radiation mid July to mid August and plan on being in Canada by beginning of September. I haven't booked yet. Am I being too eager?  I have a celebration to attend . 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi Finch souds good to have a special event to aim for

Maybe  hold off on airflight booking till you are   further into rads treatment  to see how the body is coping . As travel insurance not covered for medical treatment
    Aim for Hawaii stopover 

Cheers Bright in hope
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Can't advise as I didn't have radiation but an overseas trip is always a good thing to look forward to!
  • Finch
    Thanks ladies, and  stopover in Hawaii sounds like a good idea! It's my sons 30th birthday , he lives in Canada and I want to be there for it. I'm going to have to think this through. 
  • Annski
    Annski Member Posts: 112
    I recommend caution in committing to anything too strenuous soon after treatment. I finished radio on March 7, the next two weeks were a nightmare of burns and exhaustion, only now 5-6 weeks later can I contemplate a 90 minute drive in a comfortable car. No way would I get on a plane. And I had the single mastectomy well before the radio. But I am older and maybe just don't have the bounce back. It's great to have something to look forward to but you have just been through a genuinely traumatic experience and may need to baby yourself. Then there is the insomnia yes as usual the bell rang at 3.00 am and here I am again might as well have jetlag. Still as they keep saying everyone's different. Good luck and kind thoughts to all.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi.  
    Congrats on finishing chemo!  I  finished radiation mid July last year.  Had no worries with fatigue.  Burns cleared within a week to 10 days.  Went camping straight after radiation appointment at the end of week 5 (had 6 wks) then went on holidays mid August.  Had a blast!  It just depends how you go.  

Check with your team about air travel after the lymph node clearance though.

All the best xoxoxo
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @JennyD78 you will need to get a compression sleeve for arm that had node clearance done.... as you can get lymphodema in it and air travel is one trigger..... Ask your Breast Care nurse about it .... they might have someone where you are having treatment who can help order one for you.... 

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    As others have said check with Onc. Mine said at the outset any air travel planned let me know. Just part of holiday planning.
    Take care 
  • Finch
    Thanks everyone .... I don't think I'll book anything too soon. I've got two more chemo sessions to go before radiation commences. I desperately want to be over there with my son, but have to be sensible at the end of the day. Xxx