Breast Implants following major double mastectomy and lymph nodes removal

JAM22
JAM22 Member Posts: 5
edited April 2018 in General discussion
I am having surgery in May for breast implants and am anxious of what to expect.  Though I have been told by my surgeon it will be 2 operations and very painful I am still going through with it.  My double mastectomy was in October 2014 followed by a second operation in November 2014 to remove cancerous lymph nodes on my left side not originally found.  Went through chemo, allergies to the drugs, etc etc.  If there is anyone who might have some insight or advice on this operation I would appreciate it. Judy 

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi @JAM22. It's not a surprise that you're anxious, any surgery associated with BC is a big deal imho!

You should ask to join the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group. It's a private group where women going through what you are doing post pictures of their results and offer incredible support. I am having a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction in 12 days and am finding the group very helpful. There is one woman there who had a lot of drug allergies too, her insights might be useful for you.

Scroll down and hit the Groups button in the menu below. All the best, K.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi there. Please consider joining our breast reconstruction group.

I too had a double mastectomy and reconstruction. Mine was done at the same time. So yes it was very painful as I was expanded to 3/4 at the beginning and found the stretch very painful and well as nerve regeneration.

However you have healed from your initial surgery so this should mean lesser pain . I did find the expander fill quite bearable and only needed panadol. The changeover surgery only was painful for me in recovery room. After this panadol was enough.

My initial surgery was a struggle finding pain relief that I wouldn't throw up. I had fentanyl in hospital with panadol. At home it was tramadol and panadol.

If you join the group there are photo stories and personal experiences to read about including my own.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction
  • JAM22

kmakm said:

Hi @JAM22. It's not a surprise that you're anxious, any surgery associated with BC is a big deal imho!

You should ask to join the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group. It's a private group where women going through what you are doing post pictures of their results and offer incredible support. I am having a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction in 12 days and am finding the group very helpful. There is one woman there who had a lot of drug allergies too, her insights might be useful for you.

Thank you for your response it was most helpful.
  • JAM22

kmakm said:

primek said:

Hi there. Please consider joining our breast reconstruction group.

I too had a double mastectomy and reconstruction. Mine was done at the same time. So yes it was very painful as I was expanded to 3/4 at the beginning and found the stretch very painful and well as nerve regeneration.

However you have healed from your initial surgery so this should mean lesser pain . I did find the expander fill quite bearable and only needed panadol. The changeover surgery only was painful for me in recovery room. After this panadol was enough.

My initial surgery was a struggle finding pain relief that I wouldn't throw up. I had fentanyl in hospital with panadol. At home it was tramadol and panadol.

If you join the group there are photo stories and personal experiences to read about including my own.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

Thank you for your comments and advice.  I also have blood cancer (which is stable after 11 yrs) and I am allergic to so many drugs as a result of my past history.   
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    We have a member in tbe group who also has a blood cancer and has had reconstruction so she might be able to assist. @adean
  • JAM22
    thank you 
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    My blood cancer was diagnosed 2 years after bc.lve had several surgeries and each time my blood oncoligist would liase with my other surgeons and the anethastist. Im on daily oral chemo for my prv blood cancer and on some occasions and my asprin they had to be stopped. Do you still see a heamo oncoligist?
  • JAM22
    Yes, I have been seeing my haematologist every 3 months for 11 years.  I have multiple myeloma and it flared up once in 2010 and I went on very strong drugs which I was allergic to.  I was hospitalised and later forced to give up work and go on a disability pension. In 2011 he found me a new drug which I was taking right up until my breast cancer diagnosis and mastectomy operation. My breast surgeon called my haematologist and told him I could not take the drugs anymore.  I only take the exemestane drug every day as well as pain killers for my other ailments like a protruding disk in my back.  The multiple myeloma is stable as of my last visit.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I'm glad I was able to help.