Why Im proud to be a Pink Lady by Mandy Forteath

Options
Giovanna_BCNA
Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
edited April 2018 in Community news and events
Hello everyone,

This is a great article written by Mandy Forteath who I had the pleasure of meeting a few weeks ago at BCNA titled 'Why Im proud to be a Pink Lady.'

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/why-im-proud-to-be-a-pink-lady/news-story/31abd9d5b1f98949e8476f9c4602e052

Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Great article. She sounds like a fabulous person
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    A terrific article,well written Mandy and congratulations.
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    You are an inspiration mandy always a pleasure to meet you.x
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options

While I appreciate the fact that most people diagnosed with breast cancer adopt the pink ribbon and pink lady symbols, it would be nice if sometimes there was at least some publicity of the metastatic breast cancer ribbon which is green and pink. There is so often talk of "end of treatment" and "survivors" and "battle". For those with metastatic breast cancer there is no "end of treatment" or "survivorship". I don't "battle" with cancer. I have cancer and I deal with it.

Even when I had finished my treatment for Stage I breast cancer, I did not call myself a survivor until ten years had passed.

Now 15 years later, I have metastatic breast cancer about which most people, in the general public, are completely unaware.

• Marketta
    Marketta Member Posts: 34
    Options
    @Patti J your right, I was unaware of this!
    im very sorry to hear how you feel.
    i think at times I find people don’t want to hear your story as it HARD to deal with the emotions that assist it. People/general public (I’m guilty of it) try so hard to be positive and focus on the battle through because it’s easier for “them/us,we” to believe we CAN beat this BUT your absolutely right, not everyone does. I don’t read much about your cancer mostly because I’m consumed in mine atm and focus on my FACTS but it is very different and heart wrenching and I could only imagine you must feel quite alone.
    next time I see these ribbons I will think of you and buy 1 of each colour!
    i guess it always starts with 1 person... 1 person can make a big difference. 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Patti J I too was unaware that there was another ribbon - thank you for explaining that.
  • Custard
    Custard Member Posts: 417
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and Patti  J, I especially want to say i agree with you wholeheartedly. I covered metastatic cancer but the media dont want to know.. unless it is an emotional heartwrenching story about a young family. Shame! I try to support all affected by breast cancer whatever their sdtage or situation and at present have several ladies who are facing life with cancer... and if you can reply to me with any advice on how to raise metastatic awareness I would appreciate it. I am lucky so far, 14 years, but appreciate every day.