Lisa_BCNA
Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
edited April 2018 in Newly diagnosed

Hi all,

The Royal Women’s Hospital has developed a new video resource designed
to support parents with cancer to communicate with their children about
cancer. The Royal Women’s Hospital is seeking to test this new resource
and is recruiting adults from across Australia who are receiving cancer
treatment with a view to longer-term survival, while also parenting young children.

The research team at the Royal Women’s Hospital would love to hear from you if you are:

• A parent diagnosed with cancer OR the co-parent of a child whose parent has cancer
  • Receiving ongoing cancer treatment and/or had a cancer diagnosis within the past six months.
  • Having cancer treatment with a prognosis of cure/longer-term survival
  • Parenting a child/children between 3-12 years.

If you are interested in helping with this project, please contact Michelle Sinclair on michelle.sinclair@thewomens.org.au or (03) 8345 3908.

The resource is trialled at home, no hospital visits required.

Comments

• Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    I am a single mum of 11. Various age groups and have Mets. Can help if needed.
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Would love to help but my girl is only 2.5
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Sister
    @kmakm
    Trying to think of some of you young ones with little ones .... 

• SoldierCrab
    @Lisa_BCNA have you posted this into the Young Women group ? http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women   just a thought 
  • Fionap2017
    Fionap2017 Member Posts: 64
    I’m interested- I have two boys and anything that can help them at the moment would be great. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Have already sent an email @SoldierCrab! I'm willing to help in any way I can.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I have also sent an email - not sure if I meet the parameters as mine are on the outer edge of what she's looking for.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I watched a movie where the American mother had breast cancer. She put a movie on for her kids which was like a cartoon type thing of the white blood cells and the red cells and the chemo zapping the cancer to death. Sounded ok.

• Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    Thanks so much for your help everyone!

@Tennille and @Fionap2017 - It is great to hear you are interested in the evaluation of the new parenting resource. Michelle Sinclair is on the Project Team at the Royal Women's Hospital and will be able to give you more information about participating. You can email her on michelle.sinclair@thewomens.org.au or give her a ring on (03) 8345 3908.

@JoeyLiz, it is great to hear you might be interested in the project as well. I think it would be worth getting in touch with Michelle Sinclair (michelle.sinclair@thewomens.org.au; (03)
    8345 3908) to talk about the project
    and eligibility criteria. She is lovely and will be able to give you
    the best information about the study.

Posting in the young women's group is a really good idea @SoldierCrab. I will do that today too.
  • SoldierCrab
    Lisa_BCNA I also shared this to a group of young women locally for them to chose if they wanted to partake... 

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    I think @Salpal might be interested too if you want to let her know about it. Margie x
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I misunderstood this - Michelle would like to offer this to anyone who needs it as opposed to giving feedback.
  • Salpal
    Salpal Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2018
    l would definately be interested in joining in. It can be a real struggle with kids as you still have to parent and deal with this horrid disease. Thanks @onemargie for thinking of me
    l will email Michelle Sinclair
  • mumflo
    mumflo Member Posts: 44
    My son was 8 when I was diagnosed and something like that would have been really good for him. He's on the autism spectrum and being able to watch it would've been perfect. The cancer council and the breast nurse at the hospital were wonderful provided picture books for him. 
  • Marketta
    Marketta Member Posts: 34
    @Lisa_BCNA have sent you an email!
    i have 2 kids (2 & 5)
    im currently getting chemo
    i have 2 tumours in my right breast and High grade DCIS plus spread to nodes.