IDC, 30 years old, BRCA1

StephO
StephO Member Posts: 16
edited April 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi,

My name is Steph. I’m 30 years old. I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer (IDC). I also have BRCA1 gene mutation.
i have had sentinel node biopsy which came back clear (3 lymph nodes taken).

this coming Tuesday 10th of April I will be under going a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders/implants?).

My Mum had breast cancer 5 years ago, aged 57.

A little about me... 
I am a single mother to an almost 7 year old boy. I have an identical twin sister. I work as a nurse in aged care.

i would be interested in chatting to other women Dx with BC around my age. I’m also happy to chat with other women of any aged dx with BC.

thanks 

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi Steph. I'm sorry that you've found yourself here but I hope you'll find it as supportive and helpful as I have.

Scroll down and you'll see listed in the groups section a group called 'Young Women' which would be perfect for you.

You can also use the search bar to navigate to particular subjects that interest you.

Hugs and best wishes. Hang in there. Kate xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Welcome @StephO. You'll find a lot of info and support here.  I see that @kmakm has suggested the Young Women group.  As you may have noticed, there is also the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group.  Good luck with surgery on Tuesday.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    @JoeyLiz, you may be able to help out here.

@StephO, sorry you find yourself here, but you'll find lots of support, regardless of age. I  too, am a nurse, no longer working clinically ad I developed lymphoedema after my surgery. 
    Take care
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there @StephO welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had to join but you will get plenty of support on this forum from people from all walks of life. Best of luck with your surgery. I totally understand why you’re having the double with recon. I’m a nurse as well I was diagnosed aged 43 with triple neg breast cancer. I had 8 rounds of chemo and had the left boob off with the cancer in it (stage 2a grade 3 with 8 lymph nodes taken and all clear and scans all clear too) and then took the other boob off as a prophylaxis. After seeing your mum go through it it must be an emotional time for both her you and your sister to go through it again. I wish you all the very best with your trestment too if you need to have any.  Keep us posted how you go love. Happy to chat any time they are a great group for sure on here. Biggest hug. Margie x
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445

hi StephO

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources.

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

Young Women group   https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women 

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

• StephO
    I’m not sure how to navigate this yet, I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it.
    thank you ladies for all your comments, support and help. I really appreciate it xx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi StephO  this will help you understand it 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi and welcome. You might be intetested in joining our breast reconstruction group also. People have shared their photo stories in there. 
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Sending you warmest wishes and hugs StephO xxxxxxxxx
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Hi there,
    you will find lots of supportive women here of all ages.
    i am 31 with a 2.5yo daughter and was diagnosed last September. Have just finished 6 months of chemo and will have lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy in May followed by radiation. I am a radiation therapist.
    you said you are an aged care nurse, my dad and step Mum are too!
    any questions Ask away there will be someone here who cAn help :)
  • StephO
    Thank you everyone. I’m a bit scare/nervous for Tuesday. 
    The annoying thing is, they’re doing another SNB on the non cancer side too because if they find anything in that breast but tomorrow I have to have that stinging injection again... and this time I know what it feels like... argh!
    1 more day left of my breasts :-(

How are you going @JoeyLiz ? Do you have lots of support around you and help with your daughter? How are you coping regarding your outlook on the future? 
  • StephO
    Oh, also.... anyone had pain in their lowest part of their ribs a couple of weeks after Sentinel node biopsy? Or is it something I should be worried about and tell the doctors?
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    @StephO yes I am lucky I have lots of support, my husband has been great. You said you were a single Mum, do you have support of family close? We are also lucky that our daycare Centre has taken her on random days even if they were at capacity to help us out. I’m staying positive for the future, my prognosis is 10 year survival of 80% so that’s pretty good I think. We also went down the road of trying to preserve my fertility and have embryos frozen. I have also been open with my daughter and she seems to understand more than I thought with regards to mummy being tired and sore etc
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @StephO I didn't have rib pain after my SNB but I am firmly of the opinion that if something is bothering you, you should tell your doctor or BreastCare nurse. Whether it's something or not, you will have mental relief from the worrying if you ask the question. Knowing is always better than not knowing imho ☺