edited April 2018 in Community news and events
Thanks ladies for letting me into this most exclusive club and i promise
to be grateful for all your shared experiences and honor you all. As
the name says im a Aussie living on the other side of the world facing a
double mastectomy and diep procedure. Its lonely and scary as the
family is back home, so im here to learn and feel like im not on the
other side of the world.
Am an ovarian
cancer veteran at 29 and now am facing the handy work of the Braca 2 gene,  at 42 sooo can i  i click my heels and say there is no place like home?
Surgery on Monday and admittance this sun, any last minute tips???
Am hoping that through this group i can arm myself with the knowledge of how its done and read your stories of inspiration.
Thank you again
F_F_H

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @far_from_home

Crumbs!  Excellent that you have found this forum and I am sure as the day goes on there will be others come on to wish you all the best!  

A couple of links for some reading:

https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/additional-resources.html

Their information sheets will give you a clue on packing for hospital and what to expect in recovery

Within the forum here is a tag to click "Groups" 

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

ask to join as it is a private group and there's lots of support based around where you are at and your surgery

Take care and best wishes for your upcoming surgery and recovery, sending you a virtual hug 
  • far_from_home
    far_from_home Member Posts: 9
    Thanks very much iserbrown , i was just looking for the what to pack list and here you suggested it, appreciate it
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    @far_from_home -thinking of you on the other side of the world and sending you all good wishes on this part of your journey. Seems like you are a fighter and have come through some pretty tough struggles so far. Go well 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Hey Far From Home, I don't have any tips but just wanted to send you lots of love and healing thoughts.  Good luck with the surgery :smile:
  • far_from_home
    @mira and @MoiraC thanks very much for your kind words- it already seems like i have a family here
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @far_from_home - just wanting to send u lots of love, luck and hugs. Xo
  • far_from_home
    Thanks @Kiwi Angel am definately already feeling the affection from a far
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I'm having the same surgery in three weeks so will be looking to you for tips! All the very best Aussie luck and healing vibes to you. Do let us know how you get on. K xox
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Me again!  Here's another link, which is the BCNA website and from here you can roam around the site looking for relevant information. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Welcome @far_from_home. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this site so ask away and we will help.

As a starter there is a search bar at the top of the home page and you can use that to research by looking at past posts which may be helpful.

Also the BCNA site has a wealth of online resources worth reading plus recommend highly the BCNA My Journey Kit which you should be able to order online. I particularly found helpful the suggested questions I could ask medical staff each step along the way as it’s a hectic time and I tended to have trouble thinking clearly.I also think maintaining a journal of it all is very worthwhile .

I know you are a long way from home maybe you could ask a friend to accompany you to visits as a second pair of ears can be very useful.

From the point of view of the op itself we have volunteers over here that make two very helpful gifts for us - a little pillow to slip between the arm and the body which helps make more comfortable esp when lying down / sleeping , and the other is drain bag so your hands are free - maybe something like that may be available o/s.

Rest assured we will be thinking of you on Monday and waiting to hear from you soon. XO

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi Far from home .... 
    here is the list of links I usually put up ... the others have been giving you plenty of ideas   some of these links might not be as useful as you are on the other side of us...... but it will help you navigate the site. 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

You will usually find people on at all times of the day and night those that can't sleep etc..... some procedures might be different in which ever country you find yourself in at present.... But I am sure we will offer the supports as we know them here in Oz.... 

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    what a coincidence, bad choice of words i know, like you i am also a ovarian cancer veteran and yes i was also 29!!! however i was 58 when diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, i have had the braca gene test but it came back inconclusive, anyway, i am wondering if you are in the uk, its where i was born and have a longing to go back,sending you heartfelt hugs and please keep us posted, the women here are amazing and its a great place to ask questions, make friends and receive support,will be thinking of you on monday
    wendy55
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Sending you best wishes and hugs  @far-from-home . Whereabouts are you? I hope you have a good support network of friends and neighbours . Xxxxxxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited April 2018
    The pillows mentioned by @Romla are called Zonta pillows/cushions. I did a quick Google and they have been distributed in Germany. That's where you are, isn't it? Best wishes for Monday. K xox
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Thanks @ kmakm .The Zonta breast care pillows are an Aussie creation and are made /donated by Zonta clubs to breast cancer patients since 1995 being issued to hospitals to distribute for free.They started in Sydney and imo are one of the kindest gifts making it comfortable walking around , sleeping as it takes the weight of your arm away from the breast/s and sitting in the car as it protects from the seatbelt. There is quite a bit online about them online.