Breast cancer to remove 1 or 2

charlotte1953
charlotte1953 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and a booked in for a mastectomy on the 23rd March 2018. I would like both breasts removed at the same time. The surgeon doesn’t recommend it and says I should go back and have the other one off later. My feelings are that I would prefer to be operated on once not twice. I don’t know if I have both done at once how I would go about personal hygiene etc. can anyone offer any help please

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I only had a single mastectomy and it was pretty difficult at the beginning as far as movement went.  Others may be able to help more.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Such a difficult decision. Sorry I can't help
    other than to say that my single mastectomy experience was remarkably painless and healed very quickly. So doing it twice would not have been too onerous. But there are others who can advise about bilateral mastectomy. Best wishes whatever you decide. 
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Hi there @charlotte1953 , I had a bilateral mastectomy with lymph node clearance on the left and sentinal node on the right. As far as coping with personal hygiene was concerned, I was showering with supervision on day two and attended to  other personal toilet matters by myself within hours. I did need some help to dry my back, but other than that I coped well. Done at age 58.
  • charlotte1953
    charlotte1953 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    I had a bilateral in 2012 and like AllyJay I was doing most things myself. regarding personal hygiene within hours of surgery. 
    I was 52. 
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    I went against doctors and husbands wishes and insisted on a double mastectomy and was the best decision I could have made for me. I couldn’t bare the thought of going back to get the second one off at a later date. I also wanted to be operated on before I had chemo cos didn’t know how my body was going to cope so going into the op strong and “healthy” was very important to me because it would be quicker recovery. I had a very positive experience and was able to shower independently the next day. The drains are annoying but onceyou get used to them are easy to manoeuvre. No breast tissue left so no nerves at the site so very little pain and both healed quickly. Was only on panadol by the time I left Hospital. My advice is follow your gut that’s what I did and am so glad I did. Good luck! Xx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    I’m with @Igray3911 definately trust your guts I had one off to start with then took the other one off 6 months later. I would of been fine to have them both off at once. I had minimal pain and still showered etc. Margie xx