Exercise during chemotherapy

13»

Comments

• annsan
    annsan Member Posts: 46
    @Twiggyjumps and @Zoffiel I am interested in your comments about docetaxel.  I am starting chemo shortly (docetaxel and cyclophosphamide) and I have a lot of arthritis in my neck with 2 bulging discs.  I also have lumbar spine issues from a car accident.  I required physio weekly for my neck.  I am now concerned that the docetaxel might make these existing conditions worse (and they are a bit difficult to handle as they are especially at work) and just to top it all off I am allergic to Tramal! Can I ask you both how long your courses of docetaxel were for?  Many thanks.  I am so sorry to hear of your skeletal issues the pain is just plain horrible.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I don't know if you're in Melbourne @annsan but I think they're still looking for volunters for their chemo study on cardio exercise at the Baker Institute.  Otherwise, you should get  a referral to an exercise physiologist.  Being able to exercise really seems to help.  (I should mention that I'm on doxyrubicin).
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there @kmakm  exercise definately was good for me I made myself get up and wall my dogs early every morning I hated ipgrttimg out of bed but the labs insisted on getting me up and I appreciated their enthusiasm (not) but felt better once I’d been for sure. Just be careful with the gym as they can be a bit germy so avoid the busy times if you can and take some hand sanitizer with you too alterntetively you can get a care plan through your gp who can refer you to an exercise physiologist for exercise advice and can set a specific program you can do during chemo. You get the visits funded by the government too and most of the allied health professionals  just use the referal and you have no out of pockets to pay.  I also used it for my physio which i need to get back into as well. Hope this helps. Margie x
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @annsan the big problem with forums like this is they can frighten the shit out of people who are heading into treatment. It's great to be able to vent and to find you are not the only person on the planet who has a particular reaction or feels a certain way, but that isn't always useful when someone else is trying to make decisions.

I had 4  rounds of TC. But, and I think this makes a difference, I had a course of AC in 2006, did 5 years of Tamoxifen and have taken Letrazole for one year. This stuff, on top of existing injuries etc takes its toll.

Essentially the risks of making something worse--that's not actually going to kill you--can't be fully taken into consideration. You are backed into a corner; either have the treatment, or don't. There is no viable alternative that suddenly materialises when we decide we don't like the sound of what is on offer. That feeling of desperation when you find all the choices unacceptable is familiar to most of us,. It's a wretched place to be but you have to remember that everyones experiences during, and after, treatment are different. Which probably isnt thst helpful, sorry. This really is a shit of a disease.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @annsan I have had three of four doses of TC (Docetaxel & Cyclophosphamide) and have walked almost every day. In the week after chemo they are very short walks but I slowly build up, increasing distance & speed. Exercise has been shown to reduce fatigue & side effects of chemo. Separate from that, it's excellent for your mental health. When it's the only thing you do in a day it's a positive activity to hang your hat on.

It has been explained to me here that as this chemo attacks fast growing cells, this includes collagen. Collagen is the chief ingredient of your fascia, which is the connective tissue beneath the skin that attaches, stabilizes, encloses, and separates muscles and other internal organs. Given your existing conditions I would echo @sister's advice and suggest an exercise physiologist. Ask your oncologist for a recommendation, or your GP.

I'm happy to field any questions you have about TC, but bear in mind we all have varied reactions to these drugs. It's a bitter pill we're forced to swallow but it's better than the alternative! You'll get through it, and we're all here to support you. K
  • kmakm
    Thanks @onemargie, that's good to hear. I'm still walking most days, though it's been harder in Chemo 3 than the previous two. I don't belong to a gym at the moment, my last one closed just as my sister went into her final decline. I will definitely join another one, especially now as chemo has thrust me into menopause. Gotta do that weight bearing exercise for ma bones. I'm on a waiting list for a highly recommended programme run by exercise physiologists at my local public hospital. I'll do that before I join a gym so I'm fully apprised of what I should be doing. My mastectomy & reconstruction is set for April so there'll be exercise issues round that I'm sure. So much to learn with this bugger of a disease.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hey @kmakm yep it’s the gift that keeps on giving isn’t it. Just lucky we have each other to bitch to and get advice and support from too hey.  Take care of you. Big hug. Margie x
  • kmakm
    @onemargie Love a good bitch session!