Rural support group

Hi Ladies,
Just a note of encouragement for those living in rural and remote areas. About 2 years ago, I was invited to a luncheon by our McGrath Breastcare Nurse. She is an awesome and supportive person who provides care across a large area, and informed us all that we would only see her in our area every 3 months.
We all talked about it and decided to meet for a fellowship cuppa monthly. So my task to support these ladies was to book a local cafe each month, advise everyone by email, mobile or snail mail. 
Our group has grown to around 30 ladies with an average turn up of 25 people bolstered by other ladies diagnosed with other cancers. We all agree that no matter what the cancer type, we all feel the same when diagnosed, and need the same type of fellowship and links to services as those diagnosed with breast cancer. Our town is situated next to the Snowy River, so we came up with a group name, Snowy Flamingos Support Group, 'cos were all crazy birds (the degree varies

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    LOVE It @Tracey_B
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Fantastic and such a great idea.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited March 2018
    Love it @Tracey_B.
    About 6 months after I finished active treatment I did a group course, called "Life After Cancer Treatment" through the local Cancer Centre. We started with 8 or 9 men and women who been treated for a variety of cancers, a couple dropped out along the way. At the end of the 6 weeks weeks, one member suggested a semi regular catch up. In the end 5 of us still get together every month or so, 18 months down the track. Somewhere along the way, I somehow became the default organiser, but they're a great bunch that I'm proud and lucky to call friends.
    Sometimes I don't think it matters what sort of cancer it was, there are more similarities than differences in our reactions
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Good on ya Tracey
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0

lrb_03 said:

Love it @Tracey_B.
    About 6 months after I finished active treatment I did a group course, called "Life After Cancer Treatment" through the local Cancer Centre. We started with 8 or 9 men and women who been treated for a variety of cancers, a couple dropped out along the way. At the end of the 6 weeks weeks, one member suggested a semi regular catch up. In the end 5 of us still get together every month or so, 18 months down the track. Somewhere along the way, I somehow became the default organiser, but they're a great bunch that I'm proud and lucky to call friends.
    Sometimes I don't think it matters what sort of cancer it was, there are more similarities than differences in our reactions

Fantastic what fellowship and support can do, that is awesome. From little things big things grow
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0

onemargie said:

Good on ya Tracey

Sending you a big cuddle xxx