Feeling ? Just been diagnosed

Esther_B
Esther_B Member Posts: 3
edited February 2018 in Newly diagnosed
hello,
very new to say it was not on my to do list once I retired last year ... feeling overwhelmed have my daughters wedding in 3 weeks, eldest daughter 40th in New York in 5 weeks... 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    You are most welcome here even though it's probably the last place you want to be! How much you will have to juggle in the next few weeks depends very much on your diagnosis and recommended treatment, so that's the first thing to sort out. Much as those things are extremely important to you, your own health and wellbeing needs to come to the fore at this time.  You will find lots of people here who have been through this before, and while everyone's experience is a bit different, it can all add up to a wealth of advice and information. Shock, anger, panic are normal at the start. Once you have a plan for treatment, things get a bit more manageable. Think positive. Best wishes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited February 2018
    @Esther_B
    what a shock it is when we are diagnosed.... 
    Here is some helpful links and numbers 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

• Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Hi @Esther_B, I'm so sorry you have had to join us, but welcome. The shock of diagnosis is horrendous. Nothing prepares you for those words "you've got cancer". But we are here for you, please let us help support you through. Xxoo
  • Esther_B
    Thankyou so very much it warms my heart...  yes to hear those  words Cancer I was not sure how to react! I plan to be positive, enjoy my daughters wedding and then USA here I come... when I arrive home surgery is organised and then my journey will definitely have started...xx
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Hi esther l wanted to let you know lm 6 years post diagnosis.l will never forget the day l found out and when l had to tell my girls.my daughter will slso be married in 3 weeks and lm so grateful to be here. I wish you all the best .xxx adean
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hello and welcome. 
    Oh what shite timing for you.

I waited 5 weeks for my surgery anyway. 

Glad you have a plan. Hope you can enjoy and put the dreaded fear aside to enjoy the weddings.
    We are here for you so ask away anything. No question is dumb. Kath x.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    i waited over 8weeks 
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    I was on chemo within weeks of my diagnosis.
    Everything in my life came to a halt, I could not leave the house for 6 months for fear of catching something in Woolies, Byron Bay from tourists all over the world, or all those festival attendees who bring their germs from afar... then my legs gave out towards the end so I didn't even get out of bed.
    I got everyone to come to me (no sick people,lol) and was surrounded by so much love, it gave the diagnosis some meaning for me.

I cancelled every engagement and refused all invitations.
    I'd just retired but was still working a bit for a friend. I was gonna have some fun. 
    I was in the middle of renovating my beachside retirement pad.

Within 2 weeks I had turned my life upside down.
    All work on the house ceased, I couldn't stand the activity.

But I had no time to wait - I told my 5 children, in 5 different ways, separately.
    I'm so glad that all my plans were optional and could easily be delayed (longer than expected, lol).
    It took 6 months until I had my first operation.
    You're not gonna be in any pain. Does everyone know?
    That's the hardest part - making everyone sad...
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there @Esther_B sorry you’ve had to join us on the forum. Rest assured when you have a plan you will get your head around things better. Enjoy your holiday. Keep us posited. Once you have more information we can all give you a heap more of advice.margie xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Thats going to be a bit of juggling between tests and daughters stuff. You will pull it off ok though, we all do, even though right you are probably feeling overwhelmed. <3
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Hello Esther, all feelings are ok as you negotiate or attempt to negotiate the 'newly diagnosed' experience and continue with what was once 'normal' life. Please insist on quiet 'me' time. I found that family and friends all dealt with the shock of my news in different ways and on a couple of occasions found myself consoling them. It can be exhausting and I found my head space for dealing with day to day business was a bit limited. I let it be and rode with it. Please talk to a breast care nurse about traveling. I lived in NY for a few years and its a long and demanding journey from Oz. If you need to take medications with you make sure you have letters from your Dr or Oncologist - others may be be able to share their experiences regarding this. American airport security is not fun at the best of times - make sure you have access to water as it helps stress - again, a letter from your Dr will make things a bit easier. Yes, just trying to leave the queue can be a major security issue. On the up side, sitting in Central Park or standing with the tourists in Times Square always gave me a bit of a buzz - I'm a country girl so I never quite got over the wow factor that I actually lived and worked there. Enough about me, as Brenda5 suggested, you may well be feeling overwhelmed and that's ok. Ask for help and let family and friends know when you need to retreat and rest.xBeryl
  • Esther_B
    Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart x