So scared about surgery tomorrow

Nadi
Nadi Member Posts: 619
edited February 2018 in Health and wellbeing
I don't know what is wrong with me but I am sitting here in almost a full on panic attack from having my port out tomorrow. I know stupid right? I was so much calmer for my breast surgery.

I think it didn't help that my surgeon who placed the port disagreed with the oncologist's recommendation to get it out. He told me it was a very difficult process to insert it, that he would be keeping it for 5 years. It's only been 2 and my onc says I don't need it anymore, it's gotta come out. I don't care if it stays in and I have to get it flushed. Anyway, my general surgeon said he would defer to my breast surgeon as to whether I should keep it. She said I don't need to keep it, so I am booked in for tomorrow at 7 am.

But now I am freaking out, full on sweats, rapid heart beat and everything. I am worried about possible bad outcomes - blood clot, pain that never goes away, a big hole in my chest where it used to be. I guess everything else is going so well for me at the moment that I don't want to tempt fate.

Please, anyone who has had theirs removed, please tell me your good stories.

Tagged:

Comments

• Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    I never got a port Nadi but know all about fear. Thinking of you and wishing you well for surgery.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hi @Nadi. I remember how awful it was for you when it went in, and the trouble you had with it to start with. My oncologist has just referred me to have mine out, so I'm waiting to hear back. Mine's been in for 2&1/2 years now, so I guess it's time. I still feel like it's my safety blanket. It doesn't bother me getting it flushed every 6 weeks either. I'd rather that then ever having to have another one put in!!! 
    I think we go through so much, trying so hard to keep it all together, and then it's the smaller things that bring us undone.
    You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. Let us know how it all goes.
    Lyn
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Everyone else I know who had ports when I was on  chemo have them out alreadt. I'm  the last one. I've just put my paperwork in as a new surgeon has started at our hospital who will do it. So I'm on the w/list. 

In fact I was thought weird that I kept mine  so long.

So chin up girl....this is the next part of survivorship. You got this. Kath x
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    All the best tomorrow.
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    @Nadi, it's ok to be anxious. It's just another thing in the long line of things you've had to endure. Note the 'had to'. It's damn hard having to go through all of this - biggest hugs to you xxx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

Getting the port out is a lot simpler than having it inserted. I had mine out with just a local--which was not a pleasant process but I considered it a better option for me that having a line in for sedation. It took a bit of fiddling around but in the end I didn't have any problems. Apart from not liking it LOL.

I scar heavily and, predictably, that one is ropey and raised but I'm covered in similar and it doesn't worry me--just another battle wound. There is no 'hole' though--the port isn't that big and you won't see where it was. Relax, breath and you will be OK. Marg

• KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Hoping you went well today, thinking of you. My port came out last November, I’m happy it’s gone and hope I never need one again
  • goldy
    goldy Member Posts: 2
    Hi.  Hope it all went well for you.  Yes I also (like Zoffiel above) had mine with local.  They told me originally I would have to have a general.  No way.  I wanted to celebrate after.  So local for me.  The only thing was they had a towel placed over my face and then the nurse had to hold it up because my breathing was affected.  Haha.  Didn't want my beady eyes looking at what they were up to.  All good in the end.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hope it all went smoothly for you today. X
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Thanks for all the support. I put my girl panties on and went through with it. All went well. Although from what the surgeon was saying my anatomy was a bit 'challenging'. Wasn't as simple as we thought it would be. Had  a general but it still took over an hour to get it out thanks to a wonderfully twisted artery which I never knew I had but was apparently the reason it was so hard to have it inserted in the first place. You girls  that had a local are  brave as. I have an indentation in my chest but they said that in time it will fill in. Lots of swelling and bruising today. Can't lift my arm above my shoulder yet. They took a biopsy of the muscle which he tells me is routine. Scar is about 6 cms long, and as soon I as i can I will get the bio oil on to that. Also surprised that I was told to refrain from driving, raising my arm to wash my hair, or lifting anything heavy for a week. All because of the stitches they put in the artery.  Anyway over and done with now, time to move on. 

Best wishes to all.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @Nadi,
    Great to hear that all is well and that the port has been removed.  Time to recover now, take care

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    oh Nadi so pleased to hear it went well for you..... remember to be gentle with things this week and if something doesn't feel right stop doing it 
    Just for you..... 

hugs soldiercrab
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Good to hear. I've been thinking of you, wodering how it all went. Sending hugs
    Lyn
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Well done  @Nadi, make sure you take it very easy. I think you were really brave - hey, I was too chicken to even get a port put in!  Hugs xx