Body decoration

Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
edited February 2018 in Health and wellbeing
No automatic alt text available

I'm not a tatt person (not against them, just never could see anything permanent on my body) but this is beautiful.  It appeared on my fb feed as something that fb in the past have taken down as inappropriate.  I still couldn't imagine myself wanting it on my skin everyday for the rest of my life, but I don't believe it's anything other than a gorgeous way of reclaiming your body (and definitely not inappropriate).
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    It is beautiful. The image has been around for a long time-- when I had the double tit lopping  years ago people kept sendimg it to me. ' Why don't you do this, it would look awesome?.'
    I'd say 'if you like it, you do it'. Much consternation.

Ive spent my life doing pretty much what suits me but haven't really embraced the tattoo thing. Too indecisive. And I'd now look like an oversized paisley bedspread that had stretched, faded and gone all out of shape in the wash.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Purely on  a  practical level, there  have been some findings of melanomas forming within tattoos, not caused by the  tattoos, but  just developing where the ink is. Because  of the tattoo, the change in colour  of a  freckle or  mole is not noticed early on, with grave (pardon the dark pun) consequences.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    It is beautiful but what a lot of hard work.
    I would be wondering how it will look in years to come when it has faded and the body and skin not kept the same great condition.  Sort of like that ad on TV a while ago.
  • Sister
    @Summerhill38 If you're talking about the ad for the saucepans, I loved that ad!  (I don't know if it worked though as I don't remember what the brand was.)
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hey @Sister
    Yep, that is the one but I cannot remember the brand, just the ad with the faded tattoo on ageing skin !!!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445

This message claims that Facebook keeps removing an image depicting the intricately tattooed chest of a woman who had a double mastectomy due to breast cancer. According to the message, Facebook is removing the picture because it is considered a violation of the company's policy on nudity. The message applauds the bravery of the pictured woman and asks that users share the image to show support.

When the image was posted to Custom Tattoo Design's Facebook Page back in February 2013, Facebook did remove it repeatedly, citing a violation of its nudity policy. Custom Tattoo Design then posted the above message to ask for support and protest against the ban. The image went viral as a result.

However, Facebook soon backed down and agreed to let the image stay on the network. Fred Wolens of Facebook Policy Communications explained the change of policy to The Huffington Post, noting,  "Mastectomy photos don't violate our content standards and are permitted on the site."

Since then, the image has been shared many times and posted on many different Facebook Pages. As it promised, Facebook is no longer removing the image. 

The woman in the image is Inga Duncan Thornell. She notes in a blog post:

This tattoo was a collaboration between Tina Bafaro, the tattooist, and me to cover the scars from a bilateral mastectomy.  It took one Sunday a month over two and a half years to complete.

The tattoo image was featured in the book "Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo".

from 

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/breast-cancer-tattoo-picture-facebook-ban.shtml

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    definately not for the faint hearted 

This tattoo was a collaboration between Tina Bafaro, the tattooist, and me to cover the scars from a bilateral mastectomy.  It took one Sunday a month over two and a half years to complete.

• Sister
    Thanks for that @SoldierCrab.  Good to know that fb saw some sense even if it was a while ago.  I had a feeling that I had seen the image or something like it before.  
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Thanks for that background & research @SoldierCrab. It really is a work of art! Rosie
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I think something less intricate would have served similar...but the tattoo is always about the individual.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    edited January 2018
    I think it looks beautiful and it’s a very personal choice isn’t it. I’m sure she’s aware of how it might change over the years but she’s probably living for the moment which is great isn’t it she’s not worried how it will look later on. I’ve been thinking about getting one on my foot so it doesn’t matter how it looks as I get older. I will have a skin check first to be sure now too that’s  if I get the guts to do it and stop being indecisive about it. And fuck your hilarious as always @Zoffiel And I’m sure there is worse stuff than that that bloody Facebook should be removing like all the horrible and derogatory comments people can write about each other on it whilst sitting behind a keyboard. Margie xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.