YWCA Encore program

Romla
Romla Member Posts: 2,092
edited February 2018 in Health and wellbeing
Just checked the YWCA site and from what I have seen Encore seems to be a dimishing program in all bar NSW .Probably funding is the issue but a great pity as think it has meant a lot to many in recovery from breast cancer.There are no dates up for Qld , SA and ACT. Victoria doesn’t even get a mention.Anyone heard anything ?
Tagged:

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Our local one in Bathurst NSW runs regularly....I know they train at various times most run by volunteers 

• Romla
    Yes NSW I think has state gov financial support so it is offered at 40 locations I think including in regional areas - sadly SA had only 3 with 1 regional but doesn’t look like there are any courses running atm.
  • SoldierCrab
    @Romla I would give them a call I think the link for SA has not been updated.  I have put the info for SA here to save you going to get it again. 

Home

ywca encore in South Australia

Term 1, 2018

Hampstead

Tuesday

7pm - 9pm

17- Oct

to

5 - Dec

Mt Gambier

TBC

Please note that programs will only commence if there is enough interest. If you would like more information about the YWCA of Adelaide and their programs they can be contacted by phone on 08 8203 9400, email at office@ywca.com.au or through their website

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    I haven't been able to get information on a program in the ACT since I finished treatment 2 years ago 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    I completed the Encore program in Sydney CBD last year and was told that to run the program they need a specific number of new members to sign up each time. I was asked if I would be willing to re-enrol to add to numbers once they had reached their quota as they also have to have specific numbers to get their guest speakers to attend. I'm sure that this has an impact on running their courses.
  • SoldierCrab

Australian ywca encore programs

General information about ywca encore

For information about ywca encore please call 1800 305 150 (a free call from most fixed phones in Australia) or email encore@ywcansw.com.au

Currently programs are offered in NSW, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia.

ywca encore in New South Wales

ywca encore programs in NSW run in over 40 locations across the state from Central Sydney all the way to Broken Hill. 

Culturally specific programs for Chinese, Arabic and Vietnamese women are offered.

ywca encore in NSW is coordinated by YWCA NSW and funded by South East Sydney Local Health District

» Find out about ywca encore programs in NSW in 2018

ywca encore in Queensland

All ywca encore activities here are run by the YWCA Queensland, programs are offered in Cairns, Maryborough, Townsville and Toowoomba.

» See a list of the ywca encore programs in Queensland in 2018

ywca encore in South Australia

ywca encore in South Australia is coordinated by the YWCA of Adelaide.

» See a list of the South Australian ywca encore programs for 2018

ywca encore Tasmania

ywca encore in Tasmania is coordinated by the Hobart Women's Health Centre. 

For more information please contact the Hobart Women's Health Centre on 03 6231 3212.

» See a list of the ywca encore programs in Tasmania in 2018

ywca encore in Western Australia

ywca encore in Western Australia is coordinated by the YWCA of Perth and funded by Government of Western Australia, Department fo Health.

» See a list of the Western Australian ywca encore programs for 2018

ywca encore in the Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)

ywca encore in the ACT is coordinated by the YWCA of Canberra. 

There are currently no programs running in Canberra.

For more information please contact the YWCA of Canberra on (02) 6175 9900 or canberra@ywca-canberra.org.au

• Mrs_H
    Mrs_H Member Posts: 102
    I emailed for the program in Qld as I’m interested in this now I am post surgery. Haven’t heard anything back as yet. Will have to follow up next week.
  • Romla
    Encore SA starting Hampstead Rehbilitation centre Tues 30/1 7-9pm just saw it on website  - contact is Jemma Taylor. Website for YWCA SA says they are looking for new venue for southern Adelaide Encore.
  • SoldierCrab
    @Romla
    I hope that means there will be another venue for Encore in SA soon. 
  • Romla
    Me too @SoldierCrab as was good on so many levels - exercise , information and meeting others.Just wish all state governments provided the support NSW has esp in regional centres
  • SoldierCrab
    Romla our  program here in Bathurst runs via the local hospital hydrotherapy pool,
     our Ladies who run it went and trained at YWCA  to run it ....
    They are BC survivors.
    Do you have a local support group for BC maybe they can look at if the local hospital has a pool and if you have some women willing to train and run the course. 

• Romla
    @SoldierCrab having volunteers to run it is not the problem it’s lack of a hydrotherapy pool .We used the pool at a large teaching hospital but govt filled in the pool to use for storage. A new one has been built but access for Encore currently not available. Other local private hydrotherapy pools have been looked at but quite expensive.
  • SoldierCrab
    oh Romla that sucks ...... 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @romla Do you know if they've looked at the ARC at Campbelltown?
  • Romla
    @Sister have no idea but the key I gather is cost as no funding.I know Minda at Brighton was looked at but too expensive.Also I guess they are looking for north and south venues where the population bases are.Am stunned to discover Naracoorte has hydrotherapy pool used by local community and only one in South East.Have read is some govt negotiation with ACH owners of Repat site to keep its hydro pool open not sure what is happening though.