Melbourne ONLY: Opportunity to participate in a study designed to improve your health and wellbeing

2»

Comments

• Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    @Rosie_BCNA - open to those with metastatic disease yes but that is if you completed treatment within the last 12 months. Metastatic disease the treatment never ends... Can you please clarify this section & if those of us with MBC who will forever be on treatment are able to participate?? Thanks :)

• Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Thanks @Cate64 - the EX-MED Cancer program information does say the model is designed for people throughout all phases of treatment and that people can be receiving hormone therapy. I take your point about continual treatment for people with metatstatic disease but as we know, there are many types of treatment and people can be well and active while on treatment. You are the perfect example. I have contacted EX-MED to clarify this and will post as soon as I have this information. 

• angg66
    angg66 Member Posts: 188
    @Rosie_BCNA and @Cate64 - I spoke to the EX-MED people yesterday. People with mets (like me) do not currently qualify if they are doing treatments like chemo, radiotherapy etc. Only people with mets taking hormone tabs qualify for this study. Most people with metastatic breast cancer are continually undergoing treatment. So we dont seem to qualify for anything!

Ange 
  • Hello5678
    Hello5678 Member Posts: 15

@Afraser
    who else do you remember who are Melb based members ? 

Hi @SoldierCrab I’m in Melbourne and interested! Will contact them. Thanks!

• Cate64
    @angg66 & doesn't it just friggen suck??? we seem to be excluded from everything.
  • Rosie_BCNA
     Hi @Cate64@angg66, @Hello5678
    and any other Melbourne based members with metastatic disease interested in
    exercise programs. I have spoken to Eva at EX-MED and she is keen for you to
    contact to the EX-MED Cancer Hub on (03) 9230 8728 to discuss your personal situation.

Due
    to funding limits, the study is able to include people having hormone therapy,
    Herceptin and PARP inhibitors but not chemotherapy.

EX-MED
    is committed to extend the service to everyone regardless of stage of cancer,
    type of treatment and level of activity and they are working to secure funding
    for this. In the meantime they can link you with an exercise physiologist who is
    skilled at working with people with cancer. Exercise physiologists can be
    accessed through the Chronic
    Disease Management Plan
    via your GP.  For more information on exercise programs
    available in each state, link to the BCNA website Exercise
    programs

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    I just wanted to say I don't have Metastatic Breast Cancer, however, I accessed through my income protection an Exercise Physiologist, I worked with her for a year, it was AMAZING! alot of them can work via skype too, so please keep this in mind, regardless of your diagnosis everyone should be able to access the same things! Hugs Melinda!

@Cate64 how are you!!!! been so long I haven't seen you on :) hugs Melinda
  • Hello5678
    Hello5678 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks @Rosie_BCNA but I don’t have Metastic Breast Cancer. I’ve had a mastectomy and just started Chemotherapy. Expecting to have Radiation Therapy and then Hormone Therapy. Am I eligible? 
  • Rosie_BCNA
    @Hello5678 this particular program is targeting people who have completed treatment in the last 12 months but ask at your treatment centre about cancer exercise programs. Have a look at the  information on the BCNA website about other programs - the link is in the above post. 
    Rosie 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cate64
    @angg66 & doesn't it just friggen suck??? we seem to be excluded from everything.