Sydney support groups - northern beaches

traceyl0309
traceyl0309 Member Posts: 3
edited February 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi everyone i am new to this and hope i am posting correctly.

I am a 47year old, mother of two, and was diagnosed while working in the U.S.A on 21 September 2017 with rare & aggressive stage III inflammatory cancer of my breast & lymph nodes. I returned home that weekend and started chemotherapy the week after, and i am in the final stages of that before i have surgery, radiation, and then look at other options once my pathology is clear post surgery. It has been a challenging and tough time, and nothing i knew, heard or understood could have prepared me for what i have been through with chemotherapy and the side effects impact, never mind the diagnosis.

I am looking for some local (happy to travel any direction up to half hour) support groups. If anyone has any suggestions or can redirect me to where these are on this website, i would appreciate it.

Thank you :smile: Trace
Tagged:

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Alpal  and @TonyaM
    thought you ladies might like to talk about your groups ... and maybe point in direction of any other groups. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited January 2018
    Hi Trace and other lovelies here,
    I facilitate a bc support group in the Hills area of Sydney called Kellyville Breast Buddies. We meet on the first Friday of the month for morning tea at a cottage in Kenthurst.We keep updated with information,share our experiences and invite guest speakers.We offer friendship,support and resources. It’s probably abit far for you Trace but everyone is welcome. Tonya
  • Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 196
    Hi Trace,
    It certainly is a challenging time to go through the various surgeries and treatment but I'm glad you found your way here.
    Reclaim Your Curves has a couple of support groups within reach - one in Sydney (at Macquarie Park) and another on the Central Coast.  The next one in Sydney is on Sunday, 25th February and the next Central Coast one is Sunday, 11th February. They are a great place to find support and information, particularly regarding breast reconstruction, but all the ladies who come are of mixed ages and have been through all kinds of breast cancer treatment.  You'll find the events posted here in the Community News and Events section and also at www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au.  Hope that helps - we'd love to see you.
    Alison xx
  • AMM5
    AMM5 Member Posts: 69
    Hi Trace

Im Annmaree, the facilitator of the Reclaim Your Curves Sydney group.  I have just posted details for our next get together on 25th Feb as Alison mentioned above.  We meet on Mona Vale Road at Eden Gardens which may be convenient from the Northern Beaches.  Look forward to possibly meeting you.
  • traceyl0309
    Hi ladies, thanks very much for responding so quickly and for providing the details you have. The central Coast and Hills are a bit further than i'd like right now, especially with the chemo side effects coming into play, but i can keep them in mind for the future. I'll look at reclaim your curves wesbite for Macquarie, and as long as it's not just about reconstruction (which is not an option for me) then this could be a good start. Thanks again!!
  • AMM5
    AMM5 Member Posts: 69
    Hi Tracey
    We chat about anything and everything not just reconstruction! Let us know if you feel like coming along
    Thanks 
    Annmaree 
  • traceyl0309
    Thanks Annmaree i will take a look at it now, appreciate your guidance

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hi @traceyl0309,

I have attached the link below to finding a support service via the BCNA website.  You will need to add your postcode and will be able to find a group near you.  If you are unable to find a group please call our helpline on 1800 500 258.
    https://www.bcna.org.au/services-and-support-groups/

Cancer Council New South Wales have a helpline and the number is 13 11 20.  They have a listing of local support groups  and one of the nurses will be able to provide you with some local contact details.  Your breast care nurse will also be able to assist with support groups in your local area.  All the best with you current treatment.
  • annapt
    annapt Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Hi Tracey, 
    There is a cancer support group on the Northern Beaches that meet at the Balgowlah RSL in Seaforth. Their next meet-up is next Monday Feb 19th. They meet to eat prior at 6pm and then it starts at 7pm. I am attending for the first time next Monday. It would be lovely to see you there too if you can make it? I have not had breast cancer myself, but my husband went through chemo last year, so I completely understand your desire to find a group to share your experience with.

Send me a private message and I can put you in contact with the lady that runs the group.