Dare i say the Pink Lady eating apple is a brand registered trade name 

Those who are affected the most have not been given a voice
    we are  the readers who value this publication
    BRIGHT IN HOPE
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678

Zoffiel said:

I've been having a think.

This could be a marketing opportunity for BCNA that would have national appeal.

I'll take a blind guess that they have already spent a shit load of money prepping for a launch of the new Pink Lady rebranding but there is nothing like a graceful reversal of policy in response to community feedback if you want publicity.

I'll bet that the interest in changing the name of a magazine would be of, meh, interest to the media. Not changing it because the female online contributors got their hackles up in support of their male counterparts would get them interviews with all the national media. It would be a feel good story that could generate tremendous support.

Ive been involved with BCNA for a long, long time. They are genuinely trying to give us a voice and without them this forum would not exist. I'm incredibly grateful for what they do. 

The pink lady is a terrific initiative,  imagine if 'she' was wearing blue shorts and rainbow socks.

I really hope they haven't changed it to pink lady in order to get publicity if/when we get upset about it.  Deliberately upsetting the people they help  for publicity would be a huge breach of trust.  I hope its an innocent mistake.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Firstly, I agree that it's a mistake to exclude the blokes (and those of us who hate pink).  I do, however, see why someone has thought this is a good idea - pink, and in particular, bright pink, has become synonymous in the public mind with breast cancer, in a way that other causes have not been able to manage.  What they need to do is take that marketing success and run with it in a way that includes men - something along the lines of the blue shorts or blue man that were suggested.  But I don't see any value in changing the magazine name to "Pink Lady" - really, what does that signify?  While I think that "The Beacon" sounds a bit like a religious tract, it's definitely preferable to what's been suggested.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I wouldn't think so @Mira. That would be disingenuous in the extreme and could seriously hurt their reputation. It would be the sort of thing I could see a sports brand doing, but this organisation has a terrific corporate brand which they would not risk damaging.

No, I think it was more likely to have been an attempt at capitalising on the success of their logo and was likely to have been put forward by someone with no idea at all of how the community would react.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see blue and rainbow versions of the logo that could be used on different occasions. I'd hope everyone would be OK with just changing the colour, after all, anyone who doubts the masculinity of a man in a kilt hasn't met some of the Scotsmen I know :)
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    edited January 2018
    Getting some blue on the pink lady logo seems an impossible thing for BCNA to get their heads around. In any case the logo is a very feminine shape, albeit with a retro '50s fashion look.

BCNA have produced a "blue man" and here they are with Traveltext (right) and Chester80$$ (left) and, of course, BCNA CEO Christine Nixon (centre) at the 2017 BCNA Summit. My guess is that the men were produced for us, but they do put in the occasional appearance in a pink mini field.

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    I agree with @Zoffiel that adding the blue and rainbow versions would be a great idea but what shape would the rainbow one need to be ?
    Hey @traveltext - I wonder how serious BCNA was with your blue men ?  Love the photo.

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    While I agree there are possibilities with the logo, let's concentrate, for the moment, on not taking a retrograde step by changing the name of the mag. That could be considered a demand.

Next down the hierarchy of negotiations comes requests and suggestions. 

If there are too many of the latter nothing much happens. Everyone gets distracted and someone wants to form a committee, then a sub committee, then a working group. Blah blah blah. 

At the moment there is accord between the commentators. No Pink Lady. Let's concentrate on that and worry about the rest later.

Yeah, I know. Bossy and opinionated. Marg xxx

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Men.... the CEO is 

Christine Nolan
    Chief Executive Officer

not Christine Nixon.... 

• traveltext

Men.... the CEO is 

Christine Nolan
    Chief Executive Officer

not Christine Nixon.... 

Thanks SoldierCrab, indeed the CEO is Christine Nolan. Apologies to Christine. 
  • traveltext

I agree with @Zoffiel that adding the blue and rainbow versions would be a great idea but what shape would the rainbow one need to be ?
    Hey @traveltext - I wonder how serious BCNA was with your blue men ?  Love the photo.

I think they are serious, they just don't know how to slot us into the PR system in an established sense. That is, not just an add on.

In May 2005 BCNA held a cancer awareness campaign at the MCG.

They said at the time: "In poignant and emotional scenes, more than 11,500 women and 100 men clad in pink and blue ponchos respectively – many of them breast cancer survivors - gathered on the arena before the game, filling the outline of a female figure stretching almost from one end of the ground to the other."

Note the inclusion of men back then with the little dots of blue! I think we're close to getting some blue on the pink again. Just gotta keep pushing :)

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @traveltext
     will you be a the MCG this year wonder if they can put all the men together in one area that represents the heart .... Showing that we women diagnosed with BC have a heart to raise awareness for Male BC also.  just a thought I have these Brain farts at times  ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.