Long term survivors

Milly21
Milly21 Member Posts: 122
hi
hoping to hear of some stories of long term survivors friends or family,ten ,twenty,thirty ,40 years . I find it is very inspiring.

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    My sister-in-law is an 18yr survivor after a single mastectomy no reconstruction, no chemo just radiation. I never asked if she had Tamoxifen. She is about 10 years older than me. I am 55. She is still working but thinking of retiring.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Just thought I’d share this one. Met a lady in her 70s at a local bc support group. 20 years ago on a van trip around Australia she discovered a lump in her breastin Mackay. Her husband and daughter shared the same birthday and the daughter’s was her 21st.Mum and Dad had promised to return for 21st wherever they were so this lady packed her husband back to Adelaide on a plane and then checked herself into hospital for a mastectomy.At the time the hospital shut at weekends so after a few days she had to return to the caravan park - alone but with helpful caravanners who organised basic foodstuffs for her to await her husband’s return. She’s only a tiny little lady and still fit as a fiddle. She is the reason I started walking as every day rain/shine she gets up at 6am for a one hour walk - it’s hilly too. Yvonne is one of the remarkable people I have met since my bc diagnoses although she doesn’t see herself as such.
  • Milly21
    Milly21 Member Posts: 122
    Thanks so much for all the wonderful stories,it so good to her about all these long term survivors,it so inspiring and really lifts my heart to hear about them, women that have gone on to live long full happy lives ❤️❤️
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hi @Milly21
    Great subject for a post - perhaps BCNA could open a Group specifically so ladies can add stories of long term survival ?
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    edited January 2018
    My mum had a mastectomy 41 years ago and is nearly 85, my sister is 3 years out and me a little over a year . I have a friend who was one of the first to go on the PBS Herceptin and is nearly 12 years post treatment, they are all my pin up girls! :)
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    My Aunty got diagnosed at the same age as me 37 had single mastectomy, chemo and rads. She turned 81 a couple of weeks ago! My Mammy got diagnosed at the age of 58 (14 years ago) and she had lumpectomy, chemo and rads but refused to take meds after and she turns 72 tomorrow and is fit as a fiddle xx
  • Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    I work in retail so im always hearing stories I spoke with a woman in her 80’s the other day she was diagnosed at my age 46 she inspired me and made me feel positive about my future x
  • Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    @adean your mum doesn’t live in Harrington nsw by any chance?