Last "Zapping"

smokie08
smokie08 Member Posts: 157
Phew!!! What a ride!  Today i my last radio therapy treatment!!!!! Yeah I am happy and sad at the same time.  Its been a whirlwind of treatment since my diagnosis onApril 10th.  My GP told me it would be full on but never expected it to all start so soon after being told i had TNBC.  Mu chemo started on 5th May and ended on 15thSept ( dose dense A/C, Paclitaxel + Carboplatin)  Then a short break untill surgery on 24th Oct( lumpectomy and aux clearence) Then on to Rad on 27th Nov for 6 weeks.  So I guess the GP was right about it being "Bang, Bang, Bang!"  I think I got off quite lightly with the side effects from chemo, hair loss (enevetatble) eye brows, eye lashes, nose hair etc, just a bit of nausea,alot of constipation,tiredness, nose bleeds, migrains after every weekly chemo, Oh and a red face for a few days and nails going manky!!! Only one temp spike after last chemo (ended up in A&E for 5 hours).  After reading some of the other posts on here about side effects etc I feel i was lucky.
Only problem after surgery was a small fliud bulid uo and cording.  The rads have not been too bad tirdness started to kick in the last few weeks but skin has held up quite well a bit pink in parts not covered by the Mepitel and a few spots.  So all in all been lucky with that.  I feel a bit emotional as it is the last session and i wont have to go to the Cancer Center at the Lyell Mac but in a good way i think.   Can call myself a survivor now?  I have one more follow up appointment with the radio oncologist then I am under the care of the breast surgeon ( medical oncologist has already discharged me)  Got first check up with the surgeon in April and mammogram.  So no doubt anxatiy will set in.
I am going to give myself a few weeks to recover from all this treatment (we have visitors from the UK untill the middle of Feb) and then I will set about starting a fresh by looking for a new job (got made redundent Nov 16 before all this so not worked for over 1yr!!!)

Well better go now and say Goodbuy to all the wonderful staff at the cancer center I will miss them but in a good way.  I will try not to cry but can feel myself tearing up alredy.

Have a good day every one and thanks for listening to me whitter on!!!

Take Care Julia xxxx;)  ;)   

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Woo hoo!  What a milestone!  Take time to recover and reflect and more importantly set about looking forward.  Yes scanxiety will come upon you as your follow up appointment time approaches.

Take care and good on you!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Congratulations @smokie08
    YOU are now a survivor... welcome to survivorship it can be a time of emotional , mental and physical healing and a time to regroup and start afresh like you said.
    It is Ok to be emotional on the last day 

hugs 
    SoldierCrab
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Congratulations fellow SURVIVOR. X
    Ring them bells. It is done.

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    It sure is a tough ride. Congratulations on getting to the end of active treatment. I think it was only after I finished treatment that all that I'd been through really hit me.
    Take care of you, and allow for fluctuations of emotion 
    Lyn
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear @smokie08, Well done and I sympathise with the mixed feelings! I am at a similar point to you - finished surgery, chemo  and radiotherapy; and now taking hormone therapy tablets. I will be having regular reviews with  the medical oncologist, one more with the radiotherapy oncologist , and booked to see my surgeon in June. Best wishes for the future from jennyss
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Good on you, Julia. I was made redundant a couple of weeks before I got dragged back onto the cancer bus too. Marg
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Big congrats @smokie08, well done - you made it!!!!  This is a huge milestone !!! Yes you can call yourself a survivor !!!! I'm sure today will be hugely emotional for you. I found I'm more emotional post all my treatment. I think everything sinks in finally. Best wishes xx