Everything is shrinking!

CassieB
CassieB Member Posts: 71
edited March 2018 in Health and wellbeing
I haven't been here for a while and thought this would be a good place for advice. Its 4 years since diagnosed with BC and 2.5 years post treatment.
I have been so focused on my general health, resuming work and looking after sick elderly parents that I have neglected my sexual health. 
Basically everything is shrinking (except for my waistline). 56 and post menopause, sex is very painful. I've been using Yes moisturiser and lubricant and not able to use any hormone treatments. 
My question is does anyone have experience using vaginal dilator therapy and physio?
I think I'll need to see a gynaecologist at some point after the holiday period. 
Thanks in advance. 
CB

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    If you find a solution, please share. I really like sex and while there is more to it than penetration, I'm finding the whole business frustrating and disappointing.
    My partner is a very patient person (he'd have to be to hang out with me,) but I feel like I'm letting him down. The 'Yes' products haven't worked for me and they are pretty pricey. Honestly, the only lubricant that I've found at all useful is coconut oil. Which is messy and doesn't lend itself to spontaneity.
    I want that intimacy and ease back--and I can't figure out how to make that happen.
    Some ladies have had a go at the monalisa touch treatments, but I haven't heard if it's been successful or not. Marg xx
  • CassieB
    Hi Marg
    I will certainly let you know. I know penetration isn't the be all but it does get frustrating for my partner too. 
    I've been researching the dilators and am trying the exercises with a vibrator until I can see the gynae. 
    All the best
    CBxx

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It's a problem a number of us have so will be interested in what you find. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    We have a group now called  "lets talk about vaginas"...there are some frank discussions in it and some information on different products etc if you'd like to join.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/9-lets-talk-about-vaginas

@SoldierCrab could you be on the lookout for member request.

• CassieB
    I had a feeling it might've been but nobody talks about it! Not one of my doctors have mentioned anything about sexual health to me over the years. 

• primek
    Also they were doing some clinical trials to see if this helped. Not sure if you saw this.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/17608/new-australian-monalisa-touchtm-clinical-trial#latest
  • CassieB
    Thanks for the link. Sounds expensive. I'll try the less invasive treatment first. Xx
  • primek
    If you qualify for the clinical trial and live in Sydney it shouldn't cost you anything. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Natural menopause is hard enough to deal with - not sure if I'm ready for what follows treatment.  I would be interested to hear about anything, too.
  • primek
    Once I'd recovered from taxol I haven't found any difference in dryness from aramatose inhibitor than menopause caused.  @Sister.  I take my lube on every trip just in case. 
  • Afraser
    Apart from sex, vaginal atrophy makes it pretty impossible for me to have a pap smear - inconclusive readings. I have been having ultrasounds instead, but of course that can't track any cell changes. "At my age" I am not supposed to need pap smears any more, but it's been a comforting thing to have the all clear in the past. "At my age" atrophy could have happened anyway, but going from normal to extremely painful vaginal intercourse in 6 months seems relatively conclusive to me. My partner and I are OK and adapting, but like Marg I find lotions and such irredeemably messy, and personally I'm not having laser treatment without some extremely good results about efficacy and safety first!
  • Vallerina
    Vallerina Member Posts: 183
    I am using aci-gel. Saw similar products on American BC website and they were saying it was safe but I havent actually checked. active ingredients are 

acetic acid + hydroxyquinoline + ricinoleic acid

It has been a godsend for me as I was beginning to feel washed up and disheartened. I had no chemo, but serious natural menopause problems and i had ER+ bc. Apparently restores acid balance working well so far. :):)  
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Always good to be prepared @primek! @Afraser - do you know that they are changing the pap smear as they are now looking for evidence of the virus - not sure if that will change things for you and how the test is done.
  • Afraser
    I am aware of the change and will look into it but not sure how relevant it is - knowing I have HPV may not be helpful (if I have, 80% of women may have it - and may have it clear naturally - over their lives!) if we still have to do the same tests on collected cells to see if I actually have cancer or not. Sexually transmitted anything is less likely over the past few years also!!  : )
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    I have a friend who did the monalisa thing with great success. Very expensive tho.