Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Painful split fingernails help please

Sam09
Sam09 Member Posts: 149
Hi ladies 
Can anyone help with some advice please. I have with my treatment the unfortunate split horrible fingernails that refuse to grow at all however what the problem causing me pain atm is split skin cuts on the tips of each finger that hurts to touch anything and hurts all night just aching I have tried creams bandaids Vaseline but they won't heal up . Any advice dearly sort and much appreciated

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    Hi Sam
    Ouch!  I have put a link here as they say you need to be careful that you don't get an infection

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects/nail_changes

I hope the article will give you some help in getting relief

Take care sending you a virtual hug 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    It could be a form of dermatitis and a good idea to see your GP Dr. Mine gave me an antibiotic ointment good for all sores and pimples that are harder to heal since treatment.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there Sam my nails became split broken and fragile while I was on the taxol so I put acrylic nails  on them and that just gave the nail underneath time to grow and heal. The acrylics weren’t long but just acted as a buffer for my finger tips. It helped heaps . I had them on for about 5 months and  now just have them done with the gel polish which is great to help keep them strong I finished chemo oct last year.  Make sure you go somewhere decent to get them done though to reduce your infection risk. Margie xx