Double mastectomy with immediate TRAM flap reconstruction

Flaneuse
Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
Is there anyone out there who has had this procedure? I'm in Brisbane and shall be in the public health system.
Tagged:

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Flaneuse
    Thank you for your support, @Joannie. I'll do that.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    http//onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction  that is the link to it @Flaneuse I am not a member of the group but you will find lots of information in there 
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    Hi @Flaneuse, I am one of the group leaders in choosing breast reconstruction, we have some members who have had this surgery publically (I have had it but as a private patient). My story and many others are in our photo story announcement in choosing breast reconstruction   You are very welcome to join. 
    Paula 
  • RubyRumble
    RubyRumble Member Posts: 39
    Hi @Flaneuse I had a unilateral DIEP in the Public System at RPH 3 Months ago, I have had nothing but great breast care nurses, breast surgeons, plastic surgeons and all round care. Dont under estimate the care in the public system. X 
  • Flaneuse
    Thank you very much @mum2jj and @RubyRumble. I was diagnosed just over a week ago and have yet to meet the surgeon (20 Dec) and am feeling a bit apprehensive during the wait time. I'll try to find that photo story announcement. Fran.
  • RubyRumble
    RubyRumble Member Posts: 39
    Hello @Flaneuse  I think @mum2jj  will need to add you to view the "choosing breast reconstruction". 

I was petrified before my op, but after seeing another member in hospital who was having a DIEP which turned into a TRAM I saw how well she was after a few days, I new I could do this.   Highly recommend going to one of the support groups in Brisbane, I'm sure someone on here can tell you the next date in the new year. There are some wonderful ladies who can help with all your questions at these lunches, we have a wonderful group in Perth.

If you need to ask anything fire away, there are some awesome ladies here too.
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Hi  @Flaneuse, I've just had mastectomies but elected not to have reconstruction so sorry, not really helpful. But I wish you all the best for your surgery. Have you got a date for surgery yet and where?  Hugs xx
  • Flaneuse
    @Mollygirl Thank you so much for the wishes and the hugs. I'm needing them right now. My consultation with the surgeon will be next Wed 20 Dec. I hope they'll give me a date then. It will be in Royal Brisbane.
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Gosh, that's a lot for you to deal with over Christmas. I hope you can manage to enjoy the day even a little... I'm sure your mind will be busy... Xx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there @Flaneuse I am on the public wait list on qld too for recon. I have to have implants as I don’t have enough skin for the tram flap. Have you seen your surgeon yet?  If so how long til you can have your surgery? I’ve been waiting 18 months already to see a surgeon at the royal Brisbane and it will be at least another 18 months yet too. I went on the channel 10 news about it after being asked by penny from BCNA you might have seen it. If not if you go on the bcna Facebook page you can watch it there.  Best of luck with your surgery. Margie. X
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Hey @Flaneuse a warm welcome to you, it is incredibly overwhelming especially with waiting to see your Surgeon next week. We get it!

Hopefully you have clicked on the link for Breast Reconstruction at the top you will see photo stories click on it, if you scroll to the top of that all the different types of reconstructions are listed, so you can go in and see each.

I had a single mastectomy/diep flap reconstruction in late february this year, it is a big op as it involves a tummy tuck as well, I'm really happy with the result. I also had my revision surgery late July, 5 months later as I had some fat necrosis in the reconstructed side I had to get rid of. So I had more fat grafting, they reopened my tummy incision by 34cm, nipple reconstruction and right breast lift to match. Really happy with the result. Surgery all done! oh apart from tattooing lol. 

All the best.

xx M
  • Flaneuse
    @melclarity Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm going through considerable changes in thinking at the moment. I've always though that if this happened to me, I knew what I would do. Now, suddenly, I'm not so sure. I guess I just need to wait and see what the surgeon says is possible. I really appreciate the warmth and sistership that has been offered to me in the short time since I joined this site. Fran x
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Flaneuse it is really hard, I think we all have an ideal in our minds but life doesnt always present the way we had hoped. In terms of reconstruction, my Plastic Surgeon only offered a Diep Flap as I'd had radiation treatment 4yrs before at my 1st diagnosis, so he doesnt do implants in that situation as the skin is too thin and damaged. I did like the diep flap as I wasnt able to keep all the breast skin and had to lose the nipple, it is soft and natural just like the old me. Certainly once you see the Surgeon you'll have more of an idea of what is possible.  x Melinda 
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there @Flaneuse if you are free on Monday morming I will be selling raffle tickets and helping with the sausage sizzle at Bunnings at carseldine for our local charity Be Uplifted from 7 am if you’d like to come down and say hi. Wendy the founder and the team will be there all bc survivors mostly so if you want to come say hi and have a chat you’re more than welcome. Would love to see you there. Margie. Xx