Food, drink and metal mouth food suggestions please!

viking1
viking1 Member Posts: 288
I had my last docetaxel (chemo 6) last Monday (yeeha!) and noticed that unlike the first three rounds of FEC, mostly everything tastes yucky and metallic on docetaxel.  Well, for me.  I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for food and drink choices? I know they may not be nutritious but better than not eating! Even brands seem to matter.  So far I've found these foods okay:
wheatbix, soggy, with skim milk, banana and 1tsp brown sugar
vita wheat 9 grains with full cream Philly cream cheese and avocado slices
cold water and raspberry cordial
zuchinni, gem squash, yellow button squash with butter, baked potato and butter
soft cheese ... sometimes
chocolate milk shake with ice cream! (too much ice cream and milk = diarrhoea ☹)
banana paddle pop ... still metallic but not too bad
full strength natural yoghurt
Any ideas for sore throat and metal mouth?
Thank you!

Comments

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear Viking, It sounds like you've already done some good research! I hope your tastebuds and mouth come good soon. Mine went funny days 5-10 of each chemotherapy round, (which included docetaxel), and would then recover. Best wishes from jennyss
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Hey, you are doing better than me! Although my throat was fine, my taste buds simply deserted in droves. The only things I could taste at all on taxol were bananas, eggs, salad and avocado. Healthy but limited. Cooked vegetables were cardboard with texture. Ditto all meat and fish. It did pass though. Conventional wisdom says try spicier foods but didn't work for me. Good luck! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I found laksa, homemade and quite mild was something I could taste. Most veggies were disgusting. I also made coconut curry vegetables using Lee Kum Cha...or something like that...in a packet at supermarkets in Asian isle. I'd cook that, with steam fish and rice and put the veg on the top. Too spicy and it would burn. Those packet frozen fish with sauces are quite salty so you can taste them and frozen mcCain veg and rice packs are quick and tasty on chemo. Best if luck. Kath x. 
  • Payne
    Payne Member Posts: 150
    I had to be chewing on something continuously to get rid of or control metal mouth.  Usually something like sweet tubes or salty things.  I also found a sip of coke before eating helped.  Spicy food was out of the question. Still have trouble with spicy food but I think that is because the taste reminds me of how I felt.  For the sore throat, a gargle with carb soda and salt dissolved in water helped. 
  • Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    Mash potato, mac and cheese, lemon sorbet, icey poles and any really cold fruit juice with ice cubes.
  • viking1
    Great! I am adding to my shopping list! I have been gargling 3x a day with organic celtic sea salt lol.  It was supposed to be for the bath but I am using it. After gargling I feel like I have swallowed sea water
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Anything lemon for me. Lemonade ice locks,lemon cordial and maybe veggie soup n crackers when I could mange it.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

That sounds like a pretty robust diet to me! I was reduced to sugar and starch. Ice cream and potato. Cream cheese and avocado in the week before chemo

Gluten and I don't get on and chemo made that relationship worse. That was an issue when all I wanted was cheese toasties. I remember standing in the kitchen crying and eating two minute noodles--I loathe them and don't even know why they were in the pantry but, at the time, it was just too exhausting to think about trying to prepare something I couldn't eat anyway.

A point of correction, I could eat things, but anything other than sugar and starch sent my gut into monster spasms that were so excruciating I was terrified of trying anything that may set me off.

Soda water with a slice of lemon was the stand by. It helped fizz all the dead stuff off my tongue.

• viking1
    I wonder what the deal is with the cheese? God, I would love a cheese toastie!  When I was on FEC all I could eat was healthy food...which was excellent. No interest in the bad stuff and went off chocolate even. Had no taste probs either, no ulcers or oral thrush. Docetaxel changed everything.  I think I will have a baked potato with cheese on it for dinner, and an avocado!
  • Tennille
    Up until chemo it had been months since I had, cheese or bread. Now I cant get enough of colby cheese toasties on those days my mouth are at its worst.
  • Tennille
    Oh yeah and dont forget cheese pizza!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hey @viking1, I didn't end up having chemo (although initially it was thought I would have) but have some friends who did and they told me about the metallic taste and told me to try red lolly frogs or fruit tingles. Worked for them and I certainly would have given them a go. Xx
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    For a sore throat @viking1 you could try propolis lozenges available at Pharmacies and Health food shops - they keep your throat lubricated for quite a while. Also Chobani honey yogurt in the squeegee pouches are good - has the highest concentration of honey of all the yogurts and blue to be squirted down a sore throat.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Able NOT blue - sorry