Post Mastectomy

melts4sum
melts4sum Member Posts: 2
Hi all.  I had my left mastectomy a week ago, and have a wound drain in my armpit.  It's causing me a lot of pain and misery (more than my mastectomy scar) and it's a pain having to carry it around wherever I go.  My left armpit is swollen with a burning pain but the community nurses are not able to remove it without doctor's permission because it's still draining more than 30mL in 24 hrs.  Does anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Melsie97
    Melsie97 Member Posts: 74
    Hi @melts4sum. I had the same thing with my drain. I think it was sitting on a nerve. At times the pain was excruciating, however as soon as the drain came out, no more pain.
    it is standard that they want less than 30mks before removal. Try and be patient, hopefully it will be out soon. Mel xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    If its bright red, hot and pain increasing please see a Dr asap as it may be an infection. It is in a very difficult area to be even remotely comfortable but it's better to check. Kath x
  • melts4sum
    melts4sum Member Posts: 2
    The nurse checked it and says it's not inflamed. I just have to bear it but I can't wait for it to go ☺
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Mine was sitting on a nerve after my mastectomy and axillary clearance and felt like I was being tasered if I moved the wrong way. My surgeon agreed to take it out early but had to go see her every 2 days to get it manually aspirated. Pain completely gone as soon as it was taken out. 
  • Shorelle
    Shorelle Member Posts: 80
    Hang in there.  I had mine removed on Friday. The pain was intense and I think hitting nerves when I layed down. I felt like I was having heart attacks and severe back pain. Take the pain killers and rest up in any way you can. Without the drain the fluid build up hurts too. Just think, you have come this far. I would go for child birth anyday over my bilateral mastectomy pain. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Horrible things, drains. Hang in there.