Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Treatment??

Hi I have only been online for a few days so thankful to have a place to chat about life's challenges with metastatic breast cancer. 

Is there anyone that is on tamoxifen as their only treatment .I have been taking it for just over 7 months. My oncologist says that we can only manage the cancer as there is no cure. I don't understand why other treatments are suggested as my recent scans they found more specs on lining of lung. 
I also have signs on my bones and liver. 
Is tamoxifen the only answer for me. 

Comments

• Nannatash
    Nannatash Member Posts: 63
    Hi lefty 1166 have u had chemo or rad I had chemo now tamoxifen im going to speak onc about hysterectomy as pain down there and I dont like the thought that tamoxifen can cause overian cancer I spose have ur tests and find a oncologist that answers all ur questions may b a trial study all the best of luck love x
  • Lefty1166
    Lefty1166 Member Posts: 17
    No chemo or radiation just on tamoxifen since right mastectomy concerned as you mentioned the risk of ovarian cancer and more .
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @Lefty1166 I think you need to sit down with your oncologist and sort out what is going on. There is heaps of knowledge here; we can help you with blocked bowels and difficult conversations but it is not a good idea to try to compare treatments with other people. There are too many variables. Mix it up with a bit of misinformation and that will do your head in and get you nowhere.
    If you don't have a good relationship with your oncologist or don't trust them, get a new one. By all means practice what you want to say or ask for advice about questions you should ask but, please, don't rely on a forum for advice on what treatment you should be getting now. Sorry if that makes me sound like a righteous cow, but I think we all have your best interests at heart. Marg xxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I agree with @Zoffiel it's important to ask what will happen next if gets larger ir if any other options. They probably have a plan in mind. If you ask they will share. 
    Writing down questions can be a great way not to forget what it was you wanted to know for certain. Kath x
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi Lefty ..big huggs...?Sorry that you have been diagnosed with mbc..so much to get your head around
    .im assuming you are hormone positve Usually pre meno women are given tamofloxen and those post meno are prescribed another type of AI(im on Letrozole)
    .in the early months after diagnosis after starting the AI therapy..tests usually are staged for three months then Ct and blood work done to check your cancers respone to the AI.drug.This is usual practise for Hormone positive met patient.
    For me the AI therapy has had a positive response...this is termed stable ..
    As others have suggested have more questions to ask your Oncologist.
    For me i had to read more widely about the type of MBC diagnosis i was given so i understood the therapy i was offerred.
    All the best with your next check up.
    Ther are questions to ask about yyour therapy options and these would be related to your age and if tamo did not give a positive response
    Keep in contact please
    All the best Bright xo

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @Lefty1166 it is true - our diagnosis has the same name but every treatment is tailored to us.
    Comparing will only do your head in.  Certainly use the search within this forum and website to put together your questions so that at your next appointment you have confidence instilled that your treatment is the best for you as an individual and working well.  Not easy, I know............

Here's a link that I hope you will find beneficial https://www.bcna.org.au/metastatic-breast-cancer/

Take care and wishing you wellness x
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    I use the analogy that saying " breast cancer" as a label is the same as saying "small business" as a label. Yes, all breast cancer is cancer of one sort or another in the breast/s and all small businesses are, well businesses which are small. However the staffing and merchandise needs of a dog grooming parlour are far different from that of a yarn shop. You wouldn't place a pet shop in the same place you would have a kitchen cupboard display showroom. The needs and requirements are vastly different for businesses and ditto for the overall diagnosis of breast cancer.
  • Lefty1166
    I do understand that there are so many different types of cancer we are all individuals and what may help one person may not be what is right for another I do get that. 
    It's been 7 months since my diagnosis .
    I'm still learning as I go along this path. 
    One day at a time. 
    Hope you all are staying well x
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    It may depend on your age and quality of life. There are different chemo's available to slow it down and radiation to manage pain. If you are game as its not legal yet, you can even do cannabis oil too.
    Just Tamoxifen sounds like not a lot of treatment but perhaps it's a plan to see how well it works in staving off advancement of the mets? For some the results can be very good, for others, they need more.
    There is a uterine cancer risk but honestly its a very low percentage of odds and it doesn't just come all at once, its a gradual thing and even then, it's got treatments too.
    At least Tamoxifen isn't as damaging to your bones as others.
  • Lefty1166
    Thankyou ladies for your wise words I am still learning a lot as I go along .