Guidance Required

JessicaN
JessicaN Member Posts: 4
My name is Jess I am 35 with a husband and a beautiful 4 year daughter, last friday I went through my first chemo and fuck me i am very close to not going back. I have contracted the flu and have not been able to do anything.
I have always been the one to do everything from maintenance to cleaning and cooking and now this has fallen on my husband, who is great at his day job not home stuff and that is food I can't cook but is there anything I can order from to help him to feed us all with all the right foods? 

Comments

• Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    @JessicaN Oh dear. That's terribly unlucky. Chemo is bad enough on its own, but most of us can function on some level after the first week. Just take comfort in knowing it will be so much easier next cycle without flu. You could try hello fresh, light n easy OR, you should probably call a charity called 'Mummy's Wish' who help young families going through cancer with whatever they need (child care, cleaning, cooking). It's hard with kids. I have a 2yo & 5yo. All the best & keep posting here if you need!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Keep an eye on your temp, if really sick you need to go to hospital.

Freshbox will have menus etc with appropriate foods or some prepared foods might be good.

This link might be appropriare
    https://youfoodz.com/

But you know what...it's okay it falls to your husband. No guilt here. You are under cancer treatment not just have a cold. Rest when you can.

Kath x
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Please don't not go back. It's an awful start to what can be an arduous process, but to date it's the best chance of kissing cancer goodbye. This disease is a shock to the whole family, but you do need to raise a few expectations of not doing everything perfectly and getting a bit more support. Good suggestions above. Kath is right, Your ability to cope with bugs is less while on chemo, and if it is flu proper, that can be difficult anyway. With any luck you will find treatments a little easier once you get over this bad start. Best wishes.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

Hi Jessica. The flu while having chemo is not helpful, though it is really common to have flu like symptoms after treatment--aches, pains, generally feeling like shit. Particularly if you have had a Neulasta shot to keep your white cells going--did you have to have a jab in the belly the day after treatment? That particular little gem can make some people truly miserable for a few days.

You will have been prepped about taking your temp, do it religiously. If it goes up, for any reason, get yourself into ED straight away. This stuff is serious.

Regarding food, you know, they won't starve. They may not be happy, but no-one is going to develop rickets or scurvy while you are out of action. 4 year olds are pretty resilient little suckers and husbands can figure out where to source a couple of really nutritious meals a week. No-one gets a prize for knocking themselves out during chemo, all it does is make you feel worse, you will probably get a few days grace before your next treatment where you can do some catching up. Cheery thought, hey?

It's worth talking to the social worker about what help is available, you may be able to access some home care services which might make things easier. Marg xx 

• JessicaN
    JessicaN Member Posts: 4
    Thank you all for your advice and help. I have written them down and will do home work on what can work for us.
    Unfortunately this is not side effects from the injection, went to the doctors and am on antibiotics to clear this up just my luck, I think in hindsight should of not got the portacath the day before chemo, hospitals and germs you known. 
  • primek
    Even weight watchers have fresh food boxes with simple  menus as well if you live in the right area. 
  • primek
    Weirdly this link just reappeared on my Facebook account. 

https://www.superhealthykids.com/10-quick-healthy-freezer-slow-cooker-meals-no-prep-cooking-needed/

You might be able to prep these in the good week before next treatment. 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @JessicaN, you could also order groceries from Coles online and get some frozen meals, salads and some BBQ meats  - cause don't all men know how to bbq??
    https://shop.coles.com.au

They deliver the groceries right into your kitchen.
    Hope you get over your flu very soon. Xx Cath

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Yes I found coles online a blessing as I felt like I still had control of the household - hubby, he's quite able when it comes to cooking and cleaning, doesn't like the washing machine (the easiest thing to use!)  I would load the washing machine and then walk with one item at a time and hang on the clothes horse inside - I saw it as exercise and keeping my independence - I didn't want others washing my knickers (prudish I know) particularly when you consider it is all show and tell when you're in the medical system with Breast Cancer!
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Definately coles on line is great and there’s the hello fresh as well they are great and deliver all the ingredients you need to cook meals in one box. They have a special on at the moment too on the tv. Also your local breast cancer support group might be able to help you out with some cleaning support etc too. If you have any trouble sourcing this let me know and I’ll ask my one and she might be able to put you in touch with someone otherwise your breast care nurse should be able to help you with support services too. I’m brisbane north side. Margie xx