Help us promote Australia’s first Male Breast Cancer Awareness Day

This year it is expected
that 144 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer. While this is a small
proportion of the total number of people diagnosed – less than 1 per cent –
it’s a diagnosis that can bring very specific challenges for men.

To raise
awareness that men get breast cancer too, BCNA is launching Australia’s first Male
Breast Cancer Awareness Day on Friday 20 October 2017.

We are calling
on our members to help us raise awareness and reduce community stigma around
male breast cancer – a diagnosis that is often thought of as a “woman’s
disease”.

Helping us is as
easy as:

·        
sharing
your story about being a man with breast cancer on the online network or social
media

·        
following
Breast Cancer Network Australia on Facebook and @BCNAPinkLady on Twitter and
Instagram and sharing our posts about Male Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

More information about Male Breast Cancer Awareness Day can be found on BCNA's  latest news item on Male Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

If you’re a man
with breast cancer, information to support you can be found on our Breast cancer in men page.

Thank you for getting
involved with Australia’s first Male Breast Cancer Awareness Day and supporting
men diagnosed with breast cancer.

-      
Breast
Cancer Network Australia 

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    I just wanted to say I think this fantastic! xx
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Wonderful!! May October 20 be the start of increased awareness and increased support for
    our men.  Great post @traveltext

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    What a great post @traveltext. Any awareness is always a good thing. I’ll make mention of it too at the fundraiser I’m having in a couple weeks. See the post I’ve done this morning. 
  • KatieT
    KatieT Member Posts: 56
    I am very pleased to hear of this move.  Throughout my treatment I thought often of the difficulties that must be faced by men in the same situation.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Posted and shared to 2 groups I admin and also on my profile so that others can share it added the blurb by bcna and also the website from traveltext.... 
  • SoldierCrab
    @PeterB
     can you put a link to the facebook page please then I can share it on the BC groups I help admin etc. .... and so can others. 

• SoldierCrab
    https//www.facebook.com/mensbreastcancerforum/ found it and shared it @PeterB
     thanks for putting the name on here... I will put it in our local BC newsletter. 
  • ShazS
    ShazS Member Posts: 131
    Just want to say that's a great thing you all are doing. Doesn't matter who or what we are we all deserve to have support through this journey I know being online has helped me through this it's great and good on you all. Shazx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    What a great thing you are doing I am having a bc fundraiser in beachmere qld tues 31october so I was going to mention it there as well and perhaps. BCNA could send me some literature to display on the day. Margie x
  • Pauline_BCNA
    Pauline_BCNA Member Posts: 14
    Hi @onemargie
    That's really great to hear you are doing a bc fundraiser for us and looking to help raise more awareness of male breast cancer. We're really grateful for your support. Let us know if you need any helpful tips on fundraising!

I work on the policy team and I've been involved in bringing together men in our membership around this issue. It's really heartening and fantastic to see this day come to fruition. We have resources you might find helpful to display on the day, in particular our downloadable booklet Men Get Breast Cancer Too. 
    You can find out more about male breast cancer and our resources and project here: https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-in-men/ 

Best wishes
    Pauline McLoughlin
    Senior Policy Officer
    BCNA

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    MaleBC pal Rob Fincher got featured on the front page of the Illawarra Mercury today in a striking half monty pose:

• Pauline_BCNA
    Pauline_BCNA Member Posts: 14
    @traveltext thank you for sharing this wonderful story. We got word this morning from Rob that it made the front page of the newspaper and it is going to be syndicated more broadly by media outlets today. 
    Our friend Ron Gordon has also been on ABC Radio in WA this morning; there are interviews with ABC also happening with our head of policy, and there should be a story in tomorrow's Herald Sun newspaper focusing on two friends who were both diagnosed with breast cancer within years of each other. I'll be sure to share these when they're up.