Newly Diagnosed

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Shann I have to agree with @Summerhill38 DCIS is the best sort to get, it's the earliest diagnosis. I've been Private for alot of my path, however I went public for rads in 2011 and public for mastectomy/reconstruction. You honestly will be absolutely fine and in good hands. I've always done all my appointments and most of my treatment alone, never really had anyone to come with me, I think too as I've always been severely independent and I found when I was dealing with so much, I just didn't want someone else with me and have to manage their feelings, strange I know LOL. Hang in there! Hugs xoxo Melinda
  • shann
    shann Member Posts: 68
    Thanks Melinda, I am bit the same, I do better by myself.  It does seem to be the better one.  Time will tell I suppose.  I have herd they do reconstruction at the same time as mastectomy.  But this could be wrong.  I have been thinking and if they give me a choice (the whisper from breast care nurse said they do) I will definitely have a mastectomy.

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    edited September 2017
    It absolutely is the best one to get, obviously depending on pathology too though. I had a single mastectomy/reconstruction done this year, a year after my 2nd diagnosis and treatment . Generally though at surgery time yes they can do a mastectomy and put expanders in ready for a changeover at a later date. Alot of women have done that, @nikkid had multi focal DCIS and can help I'm sure :) 

Aaaah yes, I'm a do it alone mostly gal LOL, everyones different. There is a private Group for Breast Reconstruction if you'd like to read and see photo stories from a variety of Ladies. 

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

Hugs Melinda xo
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    edited September 2017
    Hi @Shann yes I had early multifocal DCIS, with a small area of invasive carcinoma....I had a left vertical skin sparing mastectomy and insertion of a tissue expander...giving me time (ended up being 12 months) before I had my DIEP Reconstruction. Whilst my plastic surgeon would have done the recon at the time of the mastectomy, he urged me to get as fit as I could be prior instead...so I took his advice and am so glad I did. My recovery from the DIEP was amazing.

I had no node involvement, and because of the mastectomy and early pathology, no need for radioation or chemo - and because the BC was estrogen+ was put on tamoxifen.

Hope This helps.

Nikki s
  • shann
    Thank you so much ladies for all of your advise and information it is really helpful reading all the different things people have gone through and going through and decisions they have made.  All the more information I can take with me to the surgeon next week.
  • Caseypinto
    Caseypinto Member Posts: 258
    Hi @shann - great that you found this site so quickly - the ladies are amazing and offer so much comfort and guidance. 
    I just had bilateral mastectomy with expanders and had changeover to implant surgery last week. I also had DCIS high grade. And like Nikki thankfully I didn't need rads or chemo, and as mine was hormone receptor negative, there are no meds.  It's a tough decision, but I am so glad I made it as they also found another sneaky pre cancer growing 10mm away. Good luck with your decision and make sure you write down all your questions to ask the surgeon as you can feel bamboozled, especially if you're by yourself. I found it helpful (took me a while) to ask for a copy of my path report also.
    xxx

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @shann, just thought I'd also let you know about immediate reconstruction. I had a single nipple and skin sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using silicon implant. I had a tumor to the left side of my breast and was able to have the skin saved. I asked for immediate reconstruction as I wanted to limit surgery and it was a good opportunity. My surgeon is an oncoplastic surgeon which means she is a one stop shop for general surgery and some types of plastic surgery. I am very happy with the result and because cancer was grade 1, with no lymph node involvement and because I mastectomy  I also didn't have chemo or radiotherapy. Wishing you all the best and if you have any questions happy to answer them. Xx Cath
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Hi lm 5 years post diagnosis and still hanging around with all the girls on here. The sight was my saviour when l was first diagnosed and light in my bad days. Good days bad days better ones but you get there .adean
  • ShazS
    ShazS Member Posts: 131
    Hi , I am wondering anyone out there can give me information on radiotherapy please Sharynx 
  • ShazS
    Hi@shann, I to am going through the public system and find they are doing there best to get this moving along and sorted. Know that we are all hear to listen and walk with you through this. Take care of you Sharyn x
  • Tm
    Tm Member Posts: 10
    Hi Sharyn 
    I'm in the middle of radiotherapy at the moment in the public system 
    I have 20 days over 4 weeks 
    It is fine. Everyone very caring and l am working, taking a few afternoons off now and again. 
    I dont have to travel far so all up it adds about an hour my day. 
    After 9 sessions, l haven't any side effects. 
    Its all very organised with the whole process. 
    It is good to get started. 
    Take care Tm 
  • ShazS
    Hi Tm , thanks and take care Sharynx
  • Tm
    Tm Member Posts: 10
    If you have any specific questions on radiotherapy, I can try and answer them 
    Tm
  • ShazS
    Hi I am yet to have surgery the radiotherapy was just curious to what lays ahead . Sharynx
  • shann
    Hi all just a query and it might be just a coincidence but since my core biopsy I have been sick........ I now have a chest infection, skin infection and a UTI.  It also might be that my body is fighting one manger infection and hasen't got anything left for the other minor things.