Advice needed

Nenemiles
Nenemiles Member Posts: 54
Hi all I was asking I have surgery on the 13th of September a open wide excision and microductectomy and I have to have a hook wire done before surgery. I was just wanting to know about experience with hook wire and if its painful. Thanks to all you beautiful ladies.xo
Tagged:

Comments

• steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Hi Nenemiles. I had hookwire in June. From what I can recall it was a local anaesthetic and then inserted under ultrasound. I had no pain just the wire hanging out of my boob and taped down, then a mammogram after to check placement I suppose.  All the best with your surgery.
  • Nenemiles
    Thanks @steplightly for the information. And the best wishes.
  • Cyclo
    Cyclo Member Posts: 56
    Hi nenemiles I had hookwire in Jan and was really anxious about it as I had a very uncomfortable time with the biopsy however the anxiety was unnecessary as i didn't feel pain. I recall there was a very kind nurse who held my hand during the procedure to make sure I was ok and kept still. Good luck on 13th lyn 
  • JJ55
    JJ55 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Hi Nenemiles. I had hookwire in June. I can recall a local anaesthetic administrated by a Dr and then inserted under ultrasound. I had slight pain from antiseptic needle. Absolutely  No pain after that just the wire hanging out of my boob and taped down, then a mammogram after to check placement of the wire.   All the best with your surgery.
    Jeannie 
  • Staycalm
    Staycalm Member Posts: 9
    I'm another who had the hookwire procedure recently. Twice actually! The area where my tumor was was not able to provide enough of an anchor for the hookwire and it moved during the mammogram. So I had to go back and have it positioned more deeply than they usually do. Having said that, apart from a bit of a pinch initially, I did not experience any more discomfort than any other procedure requiring needles, etc. Even less discomfort once the anesthetic was applied. Just be aware that they will probably make you do a mammogram after it's in, before you go off to surgery. I didn't get told this beforehand. Good luck!
  • Nenemiles
    Thanks very much ladies for the info. I feel much better about it now. I am not looking forward to it but want this out now. Thanks again.
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Hi Nenemiles and best of luck for your surgery.

I had a hook wire before surgery. It sounds awful, doesn't it?
    The local anaethetist before it wasn't much fun, the doctor doing it seemed rushed and stressed and definitely lacked any bedside manner, which might have had something to do with it.
    The hook wire itself didn't hurt, but as I was stressed about the whole thing I didn't enjoy it.

What I wasn't warned about was that they were going to do several CT scans afterwards.
    I had to stand up against an X-ray plate and not move for one scan, then lie down for the next one which came right down over my face. Be warned if you are claustrophobic.
    Then I was scanned in the donut type machine. 
    I then went upstairs for the surgery. It all took over an hour before surgery.

Are you also having a Sentinal node biopsy?
    You will have the dye injected at the same time as the hook wire. 
    That is another lot around the areole. 
    That was done by a different doctor in my case, much kinder and the nurse held my hand and talked to me. 
    They than leave you to massage the breast madly before the scans are done.
  • Nenemiles
    Hi @Unicornkisses thanks for your story I am a bit stressed about it all but I will be right. Best wishes
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    You will be fine.
    It will be over before you know it.
    We will be here thinking of you and giving you strength.
    It is all being done to help you to get well, just think of that when it gets too much.
  • Nenemiles
    Thanks @Unicornkisses all you great people are such a positive voice. And yes I will be fine. Thank you again.