Cautionary tales

Afraser
Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
You learn something new every day. I have had lymphoedema for four and a half years, with remarkably little trouble, so discovering I have cellulitis was a bit of a shock. The good news is that my immune system is working well and the redness and swelling had abated dramatically even before I got to my GP. But antibiotics essential. Bad news is that once encountered it may recur, but at least I now know the warning signs (felt freezing cold!) and that you don't need a cut or scrape to start it! Apparently manicures are not unknown and unwitting agents of the microscopic bug that can do it. So take care about trimming or otherwise treating cuticles, even if your salon like mine is pretty good on hygiene. I think I'll stick to my hot wax pedicures - highly recommended for neuropathied feet! - for a while.
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Oh goodness that is not what you would expect 4 plus years down the track! 
    Funny you should mention manicure as I was tossing up today about booking in for one!  I decided to trim and paint myself; does feel better; although not as good as when pampered!
    Goodness take care!   
  • Afraser
    Many thanks, I am just fine and hope it will all be clear in a day or so but these little things are sent to try us!! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Always good to know about these things.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Frustrating something as simple as a Pedicure can cause an infection but glad to know it's under control and you are managing.Atm on antibiotics for possibly same - funny you mention being cold as I just can't get warm which I blamed on Hills weather but may well not be.
  • Afraser
    I couldn't understand it - my temperature was fine, but I was chilled, shivery and achy. Next day I felt fine but my arm looked like a bad case of sunburn! Apparently fluey symptoms at the onset are quite common. I'm fine and the antibiotics will take care of the last bit of infection but it's potentially serious so it pays to get treatment right away.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Oh, bugger! Yet another joyous gift from BC. I'm afraid that would put me into a pointless muttering sulk for a couple of days. Really? Really? Oh for heaven's sake. Sniff. 
    Hope you get on top of it quickly. Marg.
  • Afraser
    I am luxuriating in bed with the Friday cryptic as I am not to exercise my arm until all infection clear, so no early gym class for me today. So not all bad
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    If that's The Age Friday cryptic, you really have my sympathies! Hope you feel better soon.
  • Afraser
    The one and only! Some Fridays are good, some hopeless, today? Bit slow but making headway! 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Glad to hear you are luxuriating with some mindfood whilst the healing happens . Very cold here today so good book about the Spanish Armada has been order of the day .Think the antibiotics are helping and hoping yours are too.