CANCER ? Even my shower has it ! (A light-hearted moment)

June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
Having moved house I found the shower glass soooooo hard to clean - in fact, it would not clean.  After much research i found it has 'glass cancer'  - yes, truly !
My friends think it is hillarious.
If your shower glass seems to be good when wet then foggy when dry but is not dirty it may be crappy glass, perhaps it was caused by hard water or perhaps someone has used the wrong cleaners over the years, who knows.
No, shower glass won't be cured (like us really) but I have found the way to keep the terrible look away for several months. The trick ?  Clean with plain vinegar then rub a small bit of Sweet Almond Oil on it with an old panty-hose.  It helps me minimize my Lymphoedema build-up from scrubbing !
Hope this post has given some a giggle and some a practical helping hand.
Hope all are travelling well this Friday.
Summer  :-)

Comments

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    @Summerhill38, how on earth did you think of adding Sweet Almond oil?? 
  • June1952
    Hi Socoda
    From all the websites I found Sweet Almond Oil was recommended as it is some sort of (viscous ?) oil.  
    After Googling oils I did try some RP7 (?) but whilst it did the trick for a while it was not thick enough to last - mind you, a couple of months was pretty good.
    Initially I did find it hard to get the Sweet Almond Oil and eventually found it at Chemist Warehouse.  Apparently some massage places have it as a base oil and I'd never thought of them.  You do not need much for each application - just a few drops and it lasts several months.
    Since then I have heard of so many people who have replaced their shower screens at huge cost so if anyone out there has the shower screen problem, don't despair as it is easy to do and soooooo satisfying !
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I believe lemon oil can help too...but I'm too lazy to be bothered by foggy glass as long as no mould.  Lol
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    My foggy glass drives me nuts. I hate using strong smelling commercial shower cleaners and they don't do a great job anyway. Plus I just don't seem to have the strength in my left (dominant) arm any more post mastectomy to do hard scrubbing. I'm definitely going to give your glass cancer recipe a go.  Thanks Summer!
  • June1952
    Hi all
    I forgot to mention the RP7 was a very strong smell for ages but the sweet almond oil is good.  Once the vinegar and oil job was done I have just used a window wipe thing (you know the ones with the rubber strip) to get the water off each day after my shower and the glass has remained clear for six months.
    The almond oil apparently fills the imperfections in the glass which makes it look foggy all the time (well, when dry).
    Good luck and spread the word as it does help us who don't have the arm strength for scrubbing.
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Hi I haven't been on or a while and I have read your post and smiled hope you are wellxx
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    I was only looking at my shower this morning and thinking it's time to clean.  We have one panel of glass that is affected . The other panels always come up sparkling. I will have to give it a go.  Thank you for your help. 
  • Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Hi, I use almond oil on my post chemo hair which is  looking as its quite brittle and dry.
    Thank you for the information  provided., i will try it once iam better after rads xxx 
  • June1952
    Hi Rowdy
    Lots happening in life so I am not often on the site.  I now have heart issues following a heart attack I did not know I had and hubby has been diagnosed with Dementia - sometimes I do think of giving up but then he would have no-one to care for him so I plod along.  Sort of makes me realize why he has not 'been there' for me !  Oh well.
    Trust you are doing OK.
  • June1952
    As I just re-did my shower I thought I would bring this post forward for ladies who are new and have not read it.
    If your shower glass has that foggy appearance of 'glass cancer' you might be thinking of a New Year clean.  The clean with vinegar then rubbing with sweet almond oil is good for about 6 months.
    Summer   :)
    P.S.  As long as I use the tool after showering I do not have to clean the glass all that time so there are extra benefits !
  • Thanks @Summerhill38, great tip and happy new year. 
  • June1952
    Thank you, @LucyE
    Happy New Year to you - hoping you have a happy and healthy year.
    I had never heard of the glass issue before but have heard of it heaps in the last 6 months or so.  Hope this tip helps other ladies as it has helped me.  Hoping you have a healthy shower as well !
    Summer   :)