Prep for surgery

13»

Comments

• Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Hi, well i saw  all 3 drs (spec,onc,radition dr) this morning , yep its mastectomy  on Wednesday  14/6, the chemo of 6 months and oral meds have reduced the tumour to have lumpectomy,  but not totally clear.... hence now the mastectomy.
    When i asked about the other breast,  they said the same as above and that my chancess are no different to anyone else...the breasts are totally different,  not linked.
    They said i could have an mri, but that would only delay  the op. So it will be done at a later date for peace of mind. I am happy with the drs advise with both being females. (Not breast surgeon)
    Furthermore,  my onc is putting me down for a trial called PenelopeB, there is a medical term for it......just cant recallthe name.
    With lymp  nodes done, its simple mastectomy only. Not sure  how long the op takes as i forgot to ask inbetween everything  else happening..
    Thank you all for your comments and advice,  it has been so valuable to me, cant thank you enough...xxx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Good luck@Hulos . Sorry the news isn't leading you down an easier path but you've come a long way since you joined our reluctant crew, keep going. Marg. Xxx
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Good luck hulos. I think i will be facing the same. Only two more chemo then surgery and my tumor is still large.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    I'm glad you have a decision @Hulos. My mastectomy took around 4 hours but that was with sentinel node removal and an immediate implant, so I would expect yours would take less time. Wishing you all the best for Wednesday - it's so hard waiting but you are almost there. Sending a hug, Jane xx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Hulos Im so glad that you got all the answers that you needed, mine took 8hrs as I had the diep flap reconstruction immediately after the mastectomy, so as Jane says, it would be around the 4hrs. You'll be surprised how well you do! Hang in there. xo Melinda
  • Hulos
    Thank you so much everyone, i just want  Wednesday  to be over, i am 1st on the list to have the  op. At 7am.
    I seem to be  doing well with lumpectomy and removal of lymp nodes, so all being well the mastectomy will be similar...i now it won't be,  but telling myself that seems to help.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Hi @Hulos, I had mastectomy & 12 nodes removed & it took about 3 1/2 hours. I was up and about next morning with no pain & showered myself. I had mine at Strathfield Private, I think you are there too?
  • Hulos
    Hi glemmis, yes i will be at Strathfield prv hospital and because I've  already had the lymph nodes removed last week, i guess the mastectomy  would not take too long.
    Its so good to hear that you didn't  have pain and was able to shower....I'm  hoping thats how mine will be..trying to think and stay positive ...
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    You will be fine with the mastectomy @Hulos. The lymph node removal gave me more pain than my mastectomy and implant. There was a lot of bruising but so many of the nerves are cut - I had almost no pain and didn't need any painkillers.  I was up going to the loo a few hours post op, had a shower and started physio the morning after surgery.  The waiting is horrible so I'm really glad you are first up. It will be done before you know it and you'll be on your way to recovering xx
  • Hulos
    Thank you so much hopes and dreams, that gives me some comfort .
     Armpit is still sore and i sleep like a mummy as i cannot turn right or left without the pain increasing. I am managing ok and doing my exercises thru the day.
    Thank you and take care
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Oh yes, I remember sleeping like a mummy! I'm a side sleeper and after a couple of weeks I was able to hug a soft pillow and semi sleep on my side. Make sure you keep up your exercises. I made up a few of my own (mostly extra over head arm stretches) when I was feeling more flexible and i also increased the rotations of all the exercises from 10-20.  Other than some lingering numbness I have had no tightness or problems with my arm at all.
    take care xx
  • nicmaree
    nicmaree Member Posts: 25
    Wow! This is all such great information. I go in for surgery on Wednesday. It has been a whirlwind of 2 1/2 weeks . I went shopping today and bought post op bras and pjs with buttons down front.
    I'm having mapping done the day before. I have been goggling (I know I shouldn't be) and can I shower the Tuesday night after mapping before I go in for surgery on the Wednesday? I'm reading conflicting things.
    Is anyone aware of exercises to go before surgery for your arm and shoulder? The breast care nurse mentioned doing arm and shoulder stretches from Yoga with Adrienne (youtube) but I cant find  the exercises she means and I cant contact the breast care nurses on the weekend. Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be great! x