Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Olivia Newton John now has metastatic cancer

KimW
KimW Member Posts: 76
edited May 2017 in Metastatic breast cancer
Just read this on facebook and i've got to say i'm very saddened by this news how dare cancer come back after so so many years.

For Immediate Release

OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN POSTPONES JUNE CONCERT DATES

May 30, 2017 - Las Vegas, NV — Olivia Newton-John is reluctantly postponing her June U.S. and Canadian concert tour dates. The back pain that initially caused her to postpone the first half of her concert tour, has turned out to be breast cancer that has metastasized to the sacrum.

In addition to natural wellness therapies, Olivia will complete a short course of photon radiation therapy and is confident she will be back later in the year, better than ever, to celebrate her shows.

"I decided on my direction of therapies after consultation with my doctors and natural therapists and the medical team at my Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness and Research Centre in Melbourne, Australia,” says Olivia Newton-John.

There will be no interview requests accepted at this time as Olivia’s focus is on her treatment and healing. Ticket buyers for the upcoming concerts should contact venues directly about refunds. Rescheduled concert dates will be posted at OliviaNewton-John.com in the coming weeks.

# # # ##

Comments

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    edited May 2017
    Looks like we were posting at the same time. Great minds think alike, Kim. I'll delete my post and just add to this one.

At BCNA, we are saddened to hear the news that Olivia Newton-John has been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, more than 20 years after her initial breast cancer diagnosis. 

Breast cancer can return after many years, and for survivors the fear of cancer recurring or progressing is very real. Metastatic breast cancer is incurable, but many people with this diagnosis are able to survive for many years with a good quality of life. There are around 9,000 Australians, mostly women, who are living with metastatic breast cancer.

BCNA is working hard to support women and men with metastatic breast cancer. We have a number of up-to-date, evidence-based resources available to assist people at the time of diagnosis and over the subsequent course of the illness. We provide information on the disease, treatments and how to live well with metastatic breast cancer. 

Our major resource is the Hope and Hurdles kit, which you can order online here or by calling our helpline on 1800 500 258. 

We have a couple of videos on these topics:

Watch the fear of recurrence video here.
    Watch the fear of progression video here.

If you need other resources or to talk to someone, BCNA’s helpline operates business hours Monday-Friday, and until 9PM on Tuesday and Thursday. We also offer free, professional one-on-one counselling support to women and men with metastatic breast cancer, and their families. For more information and to book an appointment, please call 1800 500 258.

The announcement about Olivia was made on her Facebook page. You can read it here and leave a supportive comment if you like.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Very sad after all this time. I think we all will fear a recurrence at some point. 
    CANCER SUCKS!!!
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Yes so very sad. I don't usually pay much attention to the stories about various celebrities that seem to consume so much time in magazines, TV and the internet but this certainly caught my attention. 
    I'm not sure what to think - after 20 years you would like to imagine you had escaped but I suppose 20 years before it returns is better than 2. 
    I agree CANCER SUCKS no matter how or when it gets you.

• Andij
    Andij Member Posts: 115
    It is sad. Yes it certainly brings the fears back to the front of your brain, instead of just sitting nicely at the back.
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Twenty years plus cancer free is pretty impressive. I think this highlights again that cancer does not discriminate. 
    Stuff happens . It does not mean give up. I think to me it means live life to the fullest.
     Maybe being on a really good diet/meditating/mindfullness ,excercizing etc are methods though that can enhance life and make you feel better regardless.
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    I was sad to hear about Olivia's new cancer.  And today I also heard a long term friend has another breast cancer, she had BC and a mastectomy quite a few years ago.  A lovely woman.  Cancer certainly doesn't discriminate.  Food for thought.  Good luck everyone Karen 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Yes...25 years since her first disgnosis. Insidious disease. But selfishly I'd love a 25 year break if cure isn't my path. I hope she does well with her treatment.
  • KimW
    out of all of this though there is hope, as someone living with metastatic bc of the liver for the past 5yrs.  There are more and more drugs becoming available to tailor treatment to each individual we are living longer with metastatic disease.  25yrs cancer free is an amazing feat without knowing much about her primary cancer.  I wish her all the best with her radiation treatment.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Its not a 'new' cancer, its an extension of her prior breast cancer and there is a huge difference in its aggressiveness and treatment hopefully in her favour. I think at this stage she is opting for radiation to shrink it and cannabis oil to also short out its progression and give pain relief. Here is a great article which explained things a lot to me. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/breast-cancer-in-the-spine-understanding-metastatic_us_592eecd7e4b0d80e3a8a324d?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003
  • KimW
    @Brenda5 I don't think anyone mentioned it was a new cancer.  Olivia's cancer is metastatic meaning it is breast cancer that has returned to another site in her body other than her breast.  Yes treatment is very different for metastatic disease, currently fingers crossed Olivia is very fortunate to have this in an area that requires radiation and no chemotherapy at present and I really hope this remains the way for some time.

cheers xx

• primek
    It's a new diagnosis though as she would have thought she was cured after 25 years. We can all imagine that devastating info being given to her. 
  • Southgirl
    Southgirl Member Posts: 80
    I had a metastatic diagnosis after 11 years - we are never "cured".  I hope her treatment will give her many more healthy years.
  • KimW
    I see this confusion all the time and this is an area that needs people to be educated on.  If anyone regardless of how many years has cancer return after a primary diagnosis and it has spread to any other part of the body than a breast it is a metastatic or secondary diagnosis even in Olivia's case it is metastatic or secondary breast cancer not a new primary.  
    If however your cancer returns to your breast it is considered a new primary cancer. I hope this helps clear up the confusion.  It doesn't matter whether your 10yrs down the track or 30yrs down the track, cancer cells are so microscopic they lay dormant for many many years undetected  not causing any issues, at present it is still unknown as to why metastatic cancer flares up so many years post primary diagnosis, one day researches will have the answer.
    it is important though we must live our lives as if we are cured just like Olivia did.  Olivia is not dying she is now living with metastatic  breast cancer as am  I.  We are living longer and longer with metastatic disease its just a different kind of normal, very different to the new normal we experience after a primary diagnosis as we are on constant scans, treatment, repeat process usually 4mthly for the rest of our lives.
    Im a 15yrs survivor living with liver mets since 2012

kind regards. 
  • primek
    Oh I know that.  I'm not confused at all but thanks for clearing up for others . I understand it is not a new breast cancer but metastases of her original . I'm  just saying for her it's  a new diagnosis (as in she's just been told...definition of diagnosis is...the identification of the nature of an illness or other problem by examination of the symptoms)....  she's just been told ...that it's now stage 4. As opposed to a new primary breast cancer.