Snarky Cow

Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
I'm into my second week of radiotherapy and I have a problem. When I say that, I realise it is my problem, but it's giving me the irrits.

One of the technicians is really giving me the shits. I met her on the first day of actual treatment, so I was on the table for a while as they faffed about. The first thing she did was yell instructions into my ear. And called me dear all the time. In the end I quite politely told her I didn't have a hearing problem, thanks for speaking clearly, but normal volume would do. I got an eyeroll and a snarky little reply that it was important I understood what was going on. Dear. BTW she speaks normally to her colleagues.

So, a couple of days later, there she is again. The tiny crosses that the other techs put on are suddenly huge great pen marks. More yelling, dearing and less than gentle repositioning of my increasingly rigid body. Thanks for that, honey.

She's there again yesterday. You know how they are constantly asking your name and DOB. Well, I'm on the table, answer the question and I get, 'Can you repeat that, dear?' The radiographer, who's a really nice guy has just frozen in mid step and looked at her. I've gone 'What?' Shes then launched into a lecture about how they have a responsibility to make sure they are treating the right person, can I repeat my details please. All this at great volume with a slapable smirk on her face. And a photo of my face on the screen in front of her.

Passive aggresives like this drive me mental. I've handled all manner of difficult people in my life but this smirking bitch is getting under my skin. It's the sort of patronising behaviour which is really hard to correct because, technically, they haven't done anything wrong. They are just being arseholes. You can't complain about them, and they know exactly what they are doing. TBH, I've employed the same techniques on occasions, but not to someone who is lying on a trolley naked from the waist up.

So, I've suggested that she come a little closer to me, please, waited until the eyeroll had finished and she was standing next to me then very slowly and deliberately annunciated my name, address and DOB. Can you remember that until you get back to the computer, dear? And promised to speak more clearly to her next time. I thought that rad dude was going to wet himself.

Hopefully I won't come across her again but I've decided that next time she starts yelling and dragging me around on the trolley, I'm going to fall off. That should keep the cow neck deep in paperwork for a while. 

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    bloody hilarious! well done lovey! that should shut her up or at least teach her to not be a bloody patronising cow next time with someone else. I think shes been doing the job for too long and it would be a good idea if she moooooves on to another job!! lol. :) Margie. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Do they still give lessons in bed side manners!  Sign her up quick! 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Marg!

Side splitting as usual! OMG that would shit me to tears too! Why they feel the need to do it is beyond me, obviously she's stuck on her own self importance, thinks she's above everyone one else...almost like she has this smugness of looking down on patients. Well God Help her if she ever finds herself on that table one day, receiving what she is giving??? Karma hmmm LOL sad but true! Costs nothing to have respect and compassion. xx Melinda
  • Zoffiel
    You're right, Mel. It is a power play and I am probably behaving as badly as she is. I know that, she knows it and rad dude is onto the game. 
    I make a point of calling everyone by name. I write them all down in my diary, have done for years. I'm going to get hers wrong now. Every. Single. Time. I'll channel Endora from Bewitched. Her name starts with L so I have lots of options. 'Good' afternoon, Lauren." Lisa. Louise. Leticia.....All said with a sweet smile.
  • Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    edited May 2017
    That sucks. Is it possible to avoid her? Could you go during different times when another tech could assist you or request someone else? 
  • melclarity
    Marg, I think youre behaving as anyone would, is it not hard enough being the patient? to have to deal with someone who thinks theyre the be all and end all...she has a hard lesson coming in humility...hmmm?? never ends well and the beauty is it will happen, she's already embarrassing herself but presents as very confident...but confident of what?? that she's a rude, ignorant, patronising, self absorbed twat!!! Sometimes wish I didnt read people haha!! xxxx M
  • Zoffiel
    Nah, @Cosette_BCNA. It's radiotherapy, you don't have much choice about times and no way of controlling which machine or staff you get. It seems to depend which one 'your' radiographer is on on the day.

I've only got 16 more treatments so, if the odds keep playing the way they are, I should only have to deal with her a few more times. I feel better now I've had a bit of a vent. I also have 2.5 hours a day in the car to invent subtle ways to irritate the hell out of her.

Basically, if she wants to treat me like I'm simple minded, simple is what she will get. A wee bit of Mr Bean may be in order too. :) Marg.
  • melclarity
    @inkpetal Hilarious!!! LOL 
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Sounds like she needs to retire, it is bad enough being manhandled & naked feeling vulnerable to put up with patronizing behavior. Her staff are probably irritated by her too. I have just finished 25 rounds & they only asked my name on first day. They just usually checked details between themselves on the overhead computer. They also take photos of the patients at planning. 
  • Zoffiel
    edited May 2017
    A deaf, simple minded Mr Bean with seasonings of evil witch. Basil Fawlty on the side, lurking just below the surface with a stick in hand. Oh yes. See, that's all I needed to do; give myself a little scenario to play with. I can keep myself endlessly entertained like that which will stop me from blowing a fuse. Unless Basil gets out...

@InkPetalI could starting laughing every time she opens her mouth. Gales of it until I'm snorting, then. "Sorry, can you repeat that." Snort. Sniffle.

• Zoffiel
    edited May 2017
    She's only really young @Glemmis which makes the 'dear' thing even more annoying. And yes, I get the impression rad dude isn't too impressed by her. The body language is intriguing when she is in the room particularly since he's really cruisy and it's pleasant enough when the other techs are working.

We all need to know things are being done properly and I appreciate they have patients who are not quite with it. Thing is officious behaviour, apart from being unnecessary, takes up time. In a factory like that, time is money and they are already working to a tight schedule.
  • Zoffiel
    Gold @nikkid  !
    Oh my, lying in bed with the sun coming in the window, laughing. 

Better get up and get back in the car. I'll be chuckling all the way. Thanks ladies :)
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Let us know how you go @Zoffiel xxxx