An overdue introduction

Renee_BCNA
Renee_BCNA Member Posts: 60
They say better late than never right?!? 
I really would like to properly introduce myself to all of you amazing ladies and men! 
I have been employed here at BCNA for 8 months but have admired you all from a far.

In October 2013, like many of you, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was 36 years old, had just recovered from severe post natal depression and had a 3 year old and 7 month old at home.
I couldn't believe that i had just tackled one illness and was about to fight the next one.

After a lumpectomy, 3 months of chemo, a year of herceptin and a Double Mastectomy with DIEP Flap reconstruction, i am here, working my dream job (sorry a little tacky!!) and hopefully helping others, by trying to help you make the decisions we have to make not so scary and over whelming.

I have been taking Tamoxifen for the past 2 years and plan to have my ovaries removed sometime in the next few years.

I was never really active on the network during my year of treatment. But i just wanted to give you all a massive high five for being so courageous, open and caring to others going through the big C.

I hope you don't mind if i comment every now and then outside of my BCNA capacity and please feel free to message me to ask any questions; I too will be as honest as you all are.

Stay strong and big love goes out to this wonderful community xo

Comments

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Welcome @Renee_BCNA
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Hi @Renee_BCNA, you've certainly had quite a "journey" (wish there was another word!).  Great to meet you and welcome :) 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Hi @Renee_BCNA nice to meet you. What a so and so you understand intimately where we are all at. Hopefully that's all behind you. Take care xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Welcome   :)
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Hi there! You deserve a medal for going through all that and still wanting to take on more in the field. Cancer is fascinating in lots of ways but preferably at a distance. Belated welcome!
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Hi@Renee-BCNA well we could be twins. Actually not quite I am very very much older than you. Nevertheless in my dim dark past had severe post natal depression not once but twice.Also observed the on line network at least a year before I posted anything. The other point I have no more cancer like you. See I told you we could be sisters. Glad you are on board.
  • Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    Some of you might remember @Renee_BCNA from our online network video shown at forums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGwznH8pNY

Or from last year's Pink Bun campaign :smiley:

• Renee_BCNA
    Renee_BCNA Member Posts: 60
    Ok...slight embarassment! Thank you @Cosette_BCNA!!  :D
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Hey Renee!  Welcome...Hugs to you!!! great to see you post amongst us as just you too :) Melinda xo
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @Renee_BCNA and Welcome. Also thanks for being part of the wonderful team that helps make this site and everything associated with it possible.  I personally think comments made in a non BCNA capacity are fantastic because why should you be excluded when you are part of the Bc family.  I do however wonder whether Cosette might have watched one or two episodes of the Simpsons as her introduction to your acting performances is quite similar to Troy McClure introducing  himself.   ;) All the best Xx 
  • Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637

socoda said:

I do however wonder whether Cosette might have watched one or two episodes of the Simpsons as her introduction to your acting performances is quite similar to Troy McClure introducing  himself.   ;) All the best Xx 

:D:D I don't watch The Simpsons. I just do a bit of public speaking and writing.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Welcome Renee and of course you can post as a normal member on the forum. I would like all staff to share their personal tips for beating this bc. That's what makes this forum so diverse, many different people but even the rarer sorts of personalities can find a few who are similar to themselves.
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Welcome & thanks for your contributions to bcna & the forum, both of which have been invaluable to me.