First Post

Options
pooh53
pooh53 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2013 in General discussion

I'm not usually a 'joiner' of support groups, but I decided this may be a way of sharing and gaining information without having to attend meetings etc.

Also, I'm an internet girl - prefering to mantain contact with friends and family through emails.

Just wondering how others cope with (if indeed they suffer from) a constant feeling that their mouth is burnt like when you've eaten somethng too hot?

Comments

• New Nana
    New Nana Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

I have found BIOTENE Mouthwash, spray and toothpaste very helpful.  The spray provides some relief for about 2 hours and I use the mouthwash at least twice a day and toothpaste generally after each meal.  It is quite a routine however it does seem to help.  This mouthwash contains no alcohol which is important as this dries out the mouth even further. Hope this information is not 'old' news. Please let me know how you are going.

• Rennay
    Rennay Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

Is it because you are having chemo?

I had burnt throat problems because the chemo removes the top layer of all your internal linings and I ended up having to drink what the chemo nurses called a "Pink Lady" which was Mylantin and Xylatan an anaesthetic which was very, very powerful!

Hope you're feeling better now!

Rennay

• Jacqui
    Jacqui Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I had the same problem, my mouth was so sore and my throat felt like I was swallowing razor blades when I ate. I found sucking on Ice Blocks or eating Ice Cream helped heaps. I lived on lemonade Ice Blocks for a while. The Biotene products also help heaps. Good Luck, Jacqui

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi I found the metalic taste/burnt mouth and mouth ulcers a pain but I have discovered sugar free gum helps me as with this side effect you have very little saliva and this helps with creating some. The mint taste also helps with that bland general yuck feeling all the time. Ice also helps but I found I used to gag a lot.

Hope this helps. Everyone is different that's why it is good to get lots of advice.

Good luck with your journey

Al xx