Exercise and prostheses

Kathy_BCNA
Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
edited March 2011 in General discussion

Some time ago I posted a blog about research being undertaken at the University of Wollongong which is looking at developing a better exercise bra for women who have had breast cancer surgery.

The researchers are now in the process of designing a new exercise bra to trial and are considering what to do about prostheses. They have asked if and how women use a prosthesis while exercising. I thought I would ask you, our online network of women, about your preferences.  If you have had a mastectomy, do some sort of exercise, and would like to provide your feedback, we would love to hear from you.

The questions the researchers are particularly seeking answers to are listed below. You could reply to this blog or email policy@bcna.org.au with your responses.

• Do you use a prosthesis when exercising? If not, why not?
  • What sort of prosthesis do you wear when exercising (silicon, foam, other) and why?
  • Does wearing a prosthesis dictate the type of bra you wear?  Eg, do you have to wear a mastectomy bra with a pocket, or can you wear a regular sports bra and have the prosthesis sitting against your chest wall?
  • Do you prefer the prosthesis in a pocket or against your skin, and why?

Thanks for your input and we’ll continue to let you know about this project through the website and our Beacon magazine.

Kathy