Why do I even need this test?

Options
Geraldine Robertson
Geraldine Robertson Member Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Hi everyone, I trust you all arrived home safely and had a quiet weekend.

At SATT I mentioned the above resource.  Some of you missed out on a copy ( i took too few). I have just found a report I wrote for BCNA  about this.  It has the  Consumer Health Forum's link  to the brochure. I am pasting the relevant section below.

" Diagnostic Imaging takes ‘pictures’ to see what is happening inside the body to help clinicians identify problems and monitor progress of disease.  There are different modalities- x-Rays, ultrasound, CT and MRI scans   (also PET) and nuclear medicine examinations. My role is to ensure the interests of consumers are heard and accommodated.  We need to be fully informed about the reasons for the test, any required preparation, eg fasting, what the test will involve and the cost. 

Last year the Department  of  Health funded the Consumer Health Forum  (CHF) to find out what information consumers need before consenting to have a test.  CHF has produced a Consumer Resource Why do I even need this test?  Using a Question and Answer approach it allows us to recognise the information we need from the referring doctor and the Imaging Practice when we make an appointment. This resource can be accessed on the CHF website – Why do I even need this test? A Diagnostic Imaging and Informed Consent Resource..    An electronic version of the resource is available on the CHF website  or  www.chf.org.au.  I was part of CHF’s working group developing this resource."

Geraldine

Keep up your great work  I was so impressed by all that you do for bc.

Tagged:

Comments

• Custard
    Custard Member Posts: 417
    edited March 2015
    Options

Haha Geraldine,

while compiling a report on the SATT program for our ladies, I googled the resource and printed it out to circulate at tomorrow night's Launceston Support Group meeting and also for our forthcoming Tasmanian Breast Cancer Netwrok AGM on 21 June.

It is comprehensive and i am sure many will make use of it.

Thanks so much for your company and advices,

Mandy

• Geraldine Robertson
    Geraldine Robertson Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for this feedback.  I will tell CHF that the message is spreading and DOH the value of getting CHF to undertakes such projects!  All very important feedback to show tax payers' $ are being used well!

• Nicca Grant
    Nicca Grant Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Geraldine - we'll circulate this. Lovely to finally meet you last week!

Nic

• Nicca Grant
    Nicca Grant Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Geraldine - we'll circulate this. Lovely to finally meet you last week!

Nic

• Custard
    Custard Member Posts: 417
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Nicca,

can you give me a copy of the stats shown to us which included the 1:223 women in age group (30-35?), etc which was featured as an example of the 1 in 8 women will get bc inaccuracy?  (Not sure of my notes here and found it extremely enlightening.)

Thanks!