First blog

Options
Sarah31
Sarah31 Member Posts: 8
edited April 2014 in General discussion
I was diagnosed with bc at the end of Feb being called back from a routine mammogram. It was grain of sand size they said and with my Mums history thought it best to do a core biopsy - horrible. I left in a state of shock and returned a few days later to hear they were shocked too as it was malignant. Then to surgeon who wanted more biopsies as there was another area-in duct. This meant it had to be a mastectomy as the area was too large. The surgeon also decided to do a sentinel node biopsy. Took two nodes and found it had reached the first. Mastectomy was done well, no pain after and felt good. The cancer was HER2 so aggressive. Just over two weeks ago I had my first chemo of docetaxel and cyclophosphamide which went ok. Side effects of course but not too bad, until I got increasingly breathless. Oncologist wanted me in hospital to check, everything was ok so just my reaction to it. Following blood test showed my WBC was very low. Today it's back to oncologist. I'm supposed to have Herceptin too but we are still waiting for it to arrive, which I find frustrating. Will find out today. Also have developed a very sore jaw as I must be clenching it all the time. Hair is dropping rapidly and have my beanies and scarves ready, also going to a look good feel better workshop next week which will hopefully cheer me up.

Sorry if too long, but that's barely scratched the surface!

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry you are here, but this network is THE BEST place to come for support and advice.I had the same chemo as you and finished last December.I coped pretty well I think, and the side effects weren't too bad. Take a look at my blog if u like, it's not on a private setting.There is an end to all this, it just seems so far away when you are going through treatment.I wore hats and turbans, and I never worried about a wig.My hair is about 2 or 3 cm long now,and I actually miss being bald. It's so easy.Take care and stay on here to let us know how you are going.Cheers Robyn xox

• Liztay82
    Liztay82 Member Posts: 213
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome by the sounds of it u are having the same chemo as me my next dose is next Wednesday I've had no side effects so no sickness ect but I got my ulcer :( my hair is falling out now aswell partner is shaving it tonight I went to the look better feel good workshop loved it the ladies where wonderful u get to play with makeup which u take home and wigs they let u try them on.
  • Sarah31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the message Donna. I had spent some time looking at the site a few weeks ago but was so stressed I couldn't get down to writing anything. You are right about the waiting, so much at the beginning. The stress waiting to find out results was horrible but now treatment has started it is easier. Thanks, Sarah
  • Sarah31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The side effects I had weren't as bad as I had been expecting. My breathlessness is a reaction and we will see what happens this time. The oncologist has said to take the dexamethasone 2 tabs twice daily the day before chemo which I didn't do last time so hopefully that will help. My head is still tender in places so not sure if I could cope with a shave yet but it's going to be soon. I was obsessed with brushing my teeth with biotene toothpaste and rinsing with bicarbonate at least 4 times a day as ulcers are so painful and so far have been ok, but it's early days yet...
  • Sarah31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for the message. Have looked at your blog; I've a long way to go yet! It's good to read others experiences. thanks
  • mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

the dex played havoc with me its like I was on speed, others fare ok though it seems its all down to the individual. My husband shaved my head when my hair started coming out in clumps, I had this vision of a lovely shiny bald head but that wasn't me.

I had the breathlessness on onesession and they stopped it then after a break adjusted the flow and then I was ok.

What I have learnt over my time is that we aqll react differently so don't compare, if someone has had a similar experience learn what they diod to get through it and learn that whilst you are going through the journey you have no control.

It does get better and it does come to an end, my treatment finished in October last year, apart from a final surgery in November all has been good. I am back at work and life has returned to normal I even have a head of curls something I have never had before!

cheers

Donna

Take care

Donna

• margiemoo
    margiemoo Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi 

You are having the same chemo drugs as me - had my first one on the 15/4/14 and the fatigue has been the worst. I have managed to work most of the time which is great. I had a bad mouth ulcer for a few days despite washing mouth out with biotene mouthwash and salt washes. I am starting to lose lots of my hair too. time for my hairdresser to shave it off its going everywhere! I have my turbans ready, going to the look good feel better workshop on monday which should be great and then get hit up again with chemo on tuesday. Off for a short appointment with my oncologist tomorrow to see how I am going.  Can't wait til its over but its been going ok. 

• margiemoo
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi 

You are having the same chemo drugs as me - had my first one on the 15/4/14 and the fatigue has been the worst. I have managed to work most of the time which is great. I had a bad mouth ulcer for a few days despite washing mouth out with biotene mouthwash and salt washes. I am starting to lose lots of my hair too. time for my hairdresser to shave it off its going everywhere! I have my turbans ready, going to the look good feel better workshop on monday which should be great and then get hit up again with chemo on tuesday. Off for a short appointment with my oncologist tomorrow to see how I am going.  Can't wait til its over but its been going ok. 

• Sarah31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had my first chemo on the 15th too, at north Gosford. Maybe I will see you at workshop?
  • Sarah31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had my first chemo on the 15th too, at north Gosford. Maybe I will see you at workshop?
  • Kek
    Kek Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sarah, I had 6 doses of the same chemo as you & have just finshed 12 months of Herceptin. I didn't have much trouble with either except my first lot of chemo I ended up in hospital for a week as my neurofills were right down. When I went back to my oncologist she lowered my dose of chemo & it was a lot easier from then on in. I travelled from the coast to sydney to ahve all my treatment as this is my 3rd lot of bc & as we only moved to the coast 2years ago I thought it better to stick my my docs down there. Anyway enough rambling from me I hope it remains not too bad for you & I wish you a speedy recovery. I also did the look good feel good & it was a wondeful day with lovely ladies. PS I brought myself a flame red wig...way out of character but gave me so much confidence when I wore it I sort of miss it now...maybe I'll wear it for fun again some day.

• Kek
    Kek Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sarah, I had 6 doses of the same chemo as you & have just finshed 12 months of Herceptin. I didn't have much trouble with either except my first lot of chemo I ended up in hospital for a week as my neurofills were right down. When I went back to my oncologist she lowered my dose of chemo & it was a lot easier from then on in. I travelled from the coast to sydney to ahve all my treatment as this is my 3rd lot of bc & as we only moved to the coast 2years ago I thought it better to stick my my docs down there. Anyway enough rambling from me I hope it remains not too bad for you & I wish you a speedy recovery. I also did the look good feel good & it was a wondeful day with lovely ladies. PS I brought myself a flame red wig...way out of character but gave me so much confidence when I wore it I sort of miss it now...maybe I'll wear it for fun again some day.

• margiemoo
    edited March 2015
    Options

having my chemo at gosford hospital. are you going to Narara? monday? be great to see you there! I believe the look good feel better workshops are fun.

Marg

• Sarah31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, going to Narara. See you there!
  • margiemoo
    edited March 2015
    Options

look forward to meeting you!!