Officially "retired" - sort of

benellendan
benellendan Member Posts: 25
edited January 2011 in General discussion

I wanted to let those who have sent a response to my partial invalidity retirement posts know that Comsuper finally came through with the approval for partial retirement ( I can still work 8 hours a week - four hours across 2 days) for me.  

My family and I are very much relieved and it's taken the pressure off although I had to fight like hell to get it.  Now onto helping my son move into his new place in Sydney in a few weeks (he's studying in Sydney this year), get my daughter through Year 12 and prepare my two youngest sons for high school after they finish Year 6 this year.  One of the great benefits of semi-retirement is the time I can spend with my family, my church and my friends - something good that has come out of this horrible disease.

Comments

• benellendan
    benellendan Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015

Hi Christine - my user name is "benellendan" (my three childrens names all run together:) but my real name is Sherry.  No problem with the questions, I also like to know all the ins and outs of people and so I'm happy to answer your questions...

It was my oncologist who actually recommended the semi retirement.  After breast cancer diagnosis, surgery and treatment, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (of all bloody things!!) in August 2010 - my type wasn't being controlled by medication because of my breast cancer so now I live with a pain patch attached to me each day, take some 30 tablets to try and keep the RA from destroying my joints as well as whole host of other drugs (including Efexor for depression and night sweats).  It's been the most physically challenging year of my life...my oncologist basically said "either you stop working and rest, rest, rest or you die young.  It's up to you."  

I was upset for a whole week after that talk but realised he was right.  Yes I had to jump through several hoops (including dealing with an incredibly arrogant and abusive occupational physician) but in the end the hard work paid off.  I think most super funds have some sort of invalidity retirement option to them where you can access your superannuation as a pension without it affecting your death benefit (which was very important to me given my children are still young).  Its worth making some inquiries.  I'm in the public service so maybe I'm lucky that my super fund has this option, I'm not sure about those in the private sector though.

As to the next surgery, I see the new breast care surgeon tomorrow so we'll see what happens.  I'll post something to let all those who have asked know what's going on.  I appreciate this forum as I can write as little or as much as I want.  I have family in the USA and they love reading my blogs here. It keeps them up to date on how things are going too.

I had a good Australia Day too thanks for asking.  Hope you did too:)