New to this

Options
ZaleeB
ZaleeB Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in General discussion
Hello Lovely members.. I wanted to say hello & introduce myself. I was diagnosed with early breast cancer after having a MRI just before Christmas showed a lump that wasn't there when I had my yearly visit to the family history breast cancer clinic in the April of 2013. I had procrastinated since the April about booking the MRI but after my Aunty was diagnosed with her second lot of breast related cancers, I decided to make use of an amazing service I had at my disposal & get moving!! I count myself as lucky I did because after a core biopsy that little lump (approx 7mm) is cancer & I would never have found it myself til it was much larger. I got my diagnosis on Monday the 13th at the Chermside clinic &have my surgeons appointment next Thursday the 30th of January. I am going public at the redcliffe hospital & will have a lumpectomy within a month of the visit. My mum had breast cancer & a mastectomy of one of her breast when she was my age (44) & she is still here at 73, so I have an awesome role model. I am trying to just take each day as it comes & not get too many steps ahead in the journey but sometimes it is hard. I am getting so much support from reading everyone's posts, what courageous women you are!! Any tips or tricks for this ride I have found myself on are most welcome... Oops I didn't mean to write an essay.. Looking forward to sharing everyone else's experiences too... Hugs Zale x

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Zale

Welcome and don't worry about the essay cause as much as I try I always end up with an essay and yet I am not a big talker in the outside world.

I am not a part of the group you have joined but just wanted to stop by and say hello.  So glad you found us.  Also very glad you decided to have the MRI done as it sounds you could have found yourself in a lot more trouble if you hadn't.

I hope you have received or ordered your "My Journey Kit" which if not can be ordered at the bottom of the page along with a lot of other free literature.

It looks like you are far from new to breast cancer but you must remember that each persons journey is different and we all deal with it differently and our bodies all deal with the treatments differently so you will travel your own path. 

The best pieces of advice I can give you is to take it day by day or sometimes hour by hour.  Keep yourself busy doing things you luv to do the help make the waiting pass quickly and pleasantly. Accept any assistance that comes your way from family, freinds, colleagues etc.  I made a mistake of being tough and doing it on my own way cause that is the way I have always had to but not everyone needs to do it that way. 

Wishing you all the very best on this new road you have found yourself on and here is hoping you ride the bumps and pot holes if any well.  Remember we are all here for you when you need.

Lots of love always, Mich xoxoxox

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We don't mind essays, it makes commenting more relevant because we know a little about you! I was diagnosed last May and have completed my treatment (mastectomy, chemo and radiation) and am now on Tamoxifen hormone therapy.

I live on the Sunshine Coast but spend some time in Chermside each week with my daughter. We used to live in Strathpine area for 10 years.

Taking things one step at a time is the best idea. It sounds like you are in a good starting position having found the lump nice and early.

This network is a great place to get support and connect with others who are going through a similar experience. As Mich says every person's experience is different but we all have something in common too. Mich has given you excellent advice on accepting assistance etc.

Wishing you all the best for your surgeon appointment and subsequent surgery. Take care and let us know how you go. Deanne xxx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We don't mind essays, it makes commenting more relevant because we know a little about you! I was diagnosed last May and have completed my treatment (mastectomy, chemo and radiation) and am now on Tamoxifen hormone therapy.

I live on the Sunshine Coast but spend some time in Chermside each week with my daughter. We used to live in Strathpine area for 10 years.

Taking things one step at a time is the best idea. It sounds like you are in a good starting position having found the lump nice and early.

This network is a great place to get support and connect with others who are going through a similar experience. As Mich says every person's experience is different but we all have something in common too. Mich has given you excellent advice on accepting assistance etc.

Wishing you all the best for your surgeon appointment and subsequent surgery. Take care and let us know how you go. Deanne xxx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Lorraine
    Lorraine Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options

A warm welcome to this group.  Don't worry about the essay as it really helps to understand where you are at.  It seems that breast cancer has visited you family on a number of occasions.  As that will mean you are not new to it, I would just like to say that everyone's journey is different.  So listen to your body and learn what you need as you progress.  I agree with the ladies who have suggested that you keep busy or not as you please and be involved in things you like and enjoy to do.  I too have a family history of breast cancer .  I lost my mother  and grandmother to it.  I was diagnosed at the end of 2000 and had a mastectomy and tram flap erresconstruction followed by chemo and then thormone therapy for 5 years.  I am now well and getting on with life.  Just wanted to let you know that there are some good outcomes.  So stay as positive as you can and follow the example set by you mother.  

Take care of yourself . . Lorraine xxxx