Wig wearers! When did you start going without?

Options
Sam1982
Sam1982 Member Posts: 44
edited January 2014 in General discussion

Hi Ladies,

I'm 2 and a half  months out of chemo and have quite a dark covering of hair on my head now.

It's so hot up here at the moment and I'm looking forward to the day I can give away my wigs!

But I'm just not sure when I'll feel right, I tried Saturday night infront of close freinds but after an hour I put the dreaded wig back on :(

Just wondering how much hair you all had when you decided to "brave it"?

Cheers
Sam

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am 4 weeks past last one.My hair is like a baby duck!!!I don't wear any head covers anymore.I got so tired of them,and I love the feeling of my bare head! I will try and post a pic but I need my daughter to help me! I can't wait to have 'long' hair like you!Just try it for a whole day,and you will see,that no one really bothers about it.It is very liberating.Cheers Robyn.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When my hair was like yours,I wore headbands cos I wasn't quite ready to go topless but it was too hot for wigs and scarves.I made lots of different coloured cotton headbands which tied at the back.You look great in your pic by the way but wear/do what you need to feel comfortable. Tonya xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam

We are all different about what we feel comfortable with but if I looked that good I'd be happy! I felt 'exposed' when I first started going out without a cover but the hair is growing and I'm getting more comfortable with it. I no longer feel like I stand out and in lots of ways the short hair is actually great. It's cooler and so easy to look after! I'm wondering why I ever thought longer hair was good.

Like Tonya says do and wear what you need to to feel comfortable. :)Deannexx

• Rosanna
    Rosanna Member Posts: 284
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam : you look great, and cheerful

I like your style, you definitely will grow a brand new nice hair.

I'll "brave" soon, Hope I could be as nice looking as you.

Xoxo

• Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Xoxo

• Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Xoxo

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You look amazing, so beautiful. It all depends on you of course. I think you will turn heads by your sheer beauty. I went without headgear when mine was about your length, I was fine in public, just a bit self conscious at work where I had been wearing a wig. A few weeks in and I didn't give it a second thought.
    Good luck.
    Paula :)
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You look amazing, so beautiful. It all depends on you of course. I think you will turn heads by your sheer beauty. I went without headgear when mine was about your length, I was fine in public, just a bit self conscious at work where I had been wearing a wig. A few weeks in and I didn't give it a second thought.
    Good luck.
    Paula :)
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam, you look so fresh and lovely. You have a good head for really short hair. It took me a long time to get enough self confidence to ditch my scarf. I had mousy light brown hair (dyed as I was going a grey in the part line before it fell out) and now it has grown back completely grey and 'curly' only at the back, not at the front! I wasn't prepared for that. It was so not what I looked like before. I think I was more self conscious about the grey hair than it being really short. I have now accepted that this is the new me and I'm quite liking it and I feel liberated. As Deanne says, it's so easy to look after. I haven't used my hair dryer for almost a year now.

I went out to lunch with a group of Melbourne BCNA ladies today for our first get together and we were out in public ranging from completely bald (she look fantastic by the way) to wispy grey just growing back, to like me with thicker grey short hair, a wig and a full head of hair. Nobody took any notice of us. Even if they did, we all felt great.

You look really good to me Sam so go for it if you want. But in the end it's you who has to take that step. I reckon you won't look back.

Hugs and courage to you my dear :)

Love Janey xxx

• Christine Marie
    Christine Marie Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You look beautiful Sam just the way you are :) big ((hugs)) Christine :) x
  • Christine Marie
    Christine Marie Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You look beautiful Sam just the way you are :) big ((hugs)) Christine :) x
  • SamzRusty
    SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Sam....long time no chat.....you look FANTASTIC!!!!

Do it when you're ready. I hated my wigs, so  I went out bald all the time. 

I'm almost 7 weeks out of chemo now & have a completly different look happening now.

Hugs, Sam xoxoxoxo

• SamzRusty
    SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Sam....long time no chat.....you look FANTASTIC!!!!

Do it when you're ready. I hated my wigs, so  I went out bald all the time. 

I'm almost 7 weeks out of chemo now & have a completly different look happening now.

Hugs, Sam xoxoxoxo

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

You look great! It's difficult to know when to wear something or not, I will get to that stage down the track. I reckon wear what makes you comfortable, I feel most comfortable in scarves but I fiddled around with my wig the other day and it's looking better but now we are having another heat wave and it's way to hot, You'll  figure it out but you do look great in your picture, big hugs to you, 

Hazel xx

• Sam1982
    Sam1982 Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ooooo Janey, look at all of that hair! I bet it feels fluffy? Mine does lol, I can't stop rubbing it :)
    Thank you for your pic x