Does anyone just fight for cancer alone?

Options
Rosanna
Rosanna Member Posts: 284
edited January 2014 in General discussion

Does anyone face breast cancer alone?

No family support, not many close friends to share things with?

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I felt sad to read your post.If you are feeling alone,you are not alone when it comes to the ladies on this network.However I understand you are probably meaning alone in everyday life, and not having someone to share this journey with.Have you thought about joining a group of others in the same position as you.Where do you live Rosanna?I am sure that many others will reply to your post,with great ideas,and who knows,you may have a support group nearby.Do you have a breast care nurse at the hospital where you go.They often have good ideas about where you can find supports.In the meantime Rosanna,keep on writing here,and we are all here to support and help you any way we can.Sending you a big cyber hug :). xoxoxo. Robyn.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It can be hard to find support when you are going through all this. A local support group would be helpful if there is one in your area. Robyn's suggestion of asking the breast care nurse about this is a good one. You could also try asking the Cancer Council about support in your area.

The breast care nurse organized for someone from the cancer council to contact me a few weeks after surgery once I knew what other treatment I would be needing. They are then able to match you up with a volunteer who has had a similar diagnosis and treatment schedule to you. It can really help to talk with someone who has been through treatment and is now doing well.

Going to a Look Good Feel Better workshop is also a good way to meet other ladies who are going through treatment in your area. Just google to find out about where and when these are happening in your area.

I have just stumbled upon a few ladies in the local community who have had breast cancer in the past and are now doing well many years down the track ( 10 years clear, 21 years clear and 9 years clear). They have been very friendly and only too happy to share their experiences.

But always remember this network means none of us have to go through treatment etc alone. We can be here for each other . Keep in touch and take care. Deanne xxx
  • Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Robyn, that's very kind of your wordings, seems you just sit right next to me.  I am in Gold Coast.....

I'll keep writing here, and cheer up myself.

Xoxo

• Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Deanne.....yeah supportive ladies all around, I hope I am not isolated myself because of cultural background.

Thanks for your support.

Xoxo

• JackieO
    JackieO Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2015
    Options

I hope you have the strength to be able to find someone to support you as you go through this journey.  I can be so lonely and alienating to be alone.  Let us know if we can help you  xxxx

• Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Robyn, I am from HKG.

Xoxo

• Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Jackie...........I usually very strong, but I lost my track occasionally, especially I worried and missed my son so much.

Xoxo

• Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Rosanna,there is a group on here called Asian Women with BC and supporters and friends.I thought it might interest you.Just type it in under groups.xxxRobyn
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Rosanna,there is a group on here called Asian Women with BC and supporters and friends.I thought it might interest you.Just type it in under groups.xxxRobyn
  • TheresaW
    TheresaW Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm sad to hear you may be going through this alone. I'm not of your cultural background but newly diagnosed & located in brisbane not far from the Gold Coast. If u need to tak at anytime please let me know.

Regards
    Theresa
  • Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Adean.........I am fine with OZ culture actually, 

Xoxo

• Rosanna
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Robyn..................(yeah I know the group)

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was born here in Australia and am the youngest of 8, however I have felt alone since 10years old when my mother passed away, consequently shattering our family and now 30 years later I'am the only one living in Qld. Don't get me wrong I do have and did have very welcomed support from them when diagnosed and post surgury, but am back to having that only possible now by phone/internet...and besides they're lives must go on aswell. This loneliness has only been manginfied by the fact that it was only last feburary I went through a seperation.. I have no children...so yes, actually infact I can honestly say I have never felt more alone then I do now. BUT in saying all of that, I want to most importantly convey the absolute joy I have also had in these last three months....of meeting people, wether via places like here or in everyday life.. I have been astounded and lifted up many times by the comradery I see and feel. I am not alone!     I am normaly a private person and like you strong and independant so I understand what its like, I think the best advice I could say right now is to just keep doing what you have done. Keep reaching out, speak, ask and keep asking if you want. You certainly aren't alone, not at all. 

This site is a blessing....

Love and prayers

Erica

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was born here in Australia and am the youngest of 8, however I have felt alone since 10years old when my mother passed away, consequently shattering our family and now 30 years later I'am the only one living in Qld. Don't get me wrong I do have and did have very welcomed support from them when diagnosed and post surgury, but am back to having that only possible now by phone/internet...and besides they're lives must go on aswell. This loneliness has only been manginfied by the fact that it was only last feburary I went through a seperation.. I have no children...so yes, actually infact I can honestly say I have never felt more alone then I do now. BUT in saying all of that, I want to most importantly convey the absolute joy I have also had in these last three months....of meeting people, wether via places like here or in everyday life.. I have been astounded and lifted up many times by the comradery I see and feel. I am not alone!     I am normaly a private person and like you strong and independant so I understand what its like, I think the best advice I could say right now is to just keep doing what you have done. Keep reaching out, speak, ask and keep asking if you want. You certainly aren't alone, not at all. 

This site is a blessing....

Love and prayers

Erica

• melissamorticia
    melissamorticia Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hi Rosanna its very true what we all say. ive never felt more empowered in my weakest state due to the unconditional support and cyber hugs from all the ladies sharing the journey. on this site we all do it together!
    good luck big hugs xxx