Another Kind of Love Story

Options
JessicaV
JessicaV Member Posts: 297
edited January 2014 in General discussion

My analyst asked me if I have cried about this over the 7 days since diagnosis. I admitted that initially I wept quite a few times over the unfairness of it all, the sadness of feeling that I would soon be dying and my husband and adult kids will have to do without the supportI have loved giving them. But far more often, esp as time goes on, I weep because I feel so deeply touched by the kindness of family, friends and even strangers.The blurred photo my brother's friend  sends from a bar in Barcelona of brother Robert and his wife Peixe giving me the victory sign with great enthusiasm to buoy me up as I go through a day of testing,  the thoughtfulness of the nuclear physician and his technician in making sure I get my results asap, the flexibility my fellow students apply to my requests to change our metting times and dates to accommodate my tests etc, the speed with which my daughter says "I'll take you, I'll come with you, I'll help you, I'll be with you through that." Again and again, people are so good to me, and it touches my heart and makes me cry.

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have found the same thing all through treatment too. Someone said on this network that you will never feel so loved as you do while going through this. I have certainly found that to be the case.

However it is not only family and friends, as you are noticing, but complete strangers that are caring and thoughtful. I am also lucky to live in a small estate that has the most amazing community feeling. I have felt the support of neighbours who previously had just exchanged the usual neighbourly hellos. I have had numerous medical staff, from the radiologist who handed me my scans, my chemo nurse and radiation staff who have treated me as so much more than just another patient.

I have rarely felt 'alone' in this journey. Glad you are feeling the same. Best of luck with your surgery. Deanne xxx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your comment Deanne "you will never feel so loved" has certainly been so true for me.I also have a daughter,that in a million years , I could never give to her what she has given me, in the last few months.So selfless.xxx. All the best Jessica with the next step.xoxo Robyn
  • mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

In fact Jessica readuing your post made me cry and thats not good when I am at work.

I found that my whole family rallied around as my mother had passed my aunt (her younger sister) kept ringing me and sending me beautiful cards of encouragement.

My work sent me flowers every hospital trip and then cards from staff just arrived in the post at any time and my beautiful best friend came every 2 days, bought food, fussed over me and bossed my husband around.

Then there was the kindness of strangers, you are all right as hard as this time is we really aren't alone.

Just remembering is tearing me up.

Sending you all hugs

Donna

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

In fact Jessica readuing your post made me cry and thats not good when I am at work.

I found that my whole family rallied around as my mother had passed my aunt (her younger sister) kept ringing me and sending me beautiful cards of encouragement.

My work sent me flowers every hospital trip and then cards from staff just arrived in the post at any time and my beautiful best friend came every 2 days, bought food, fussed over me and bossed my husband around.

Then there was the kindness of strangers, you are all right as hard as this time is we really aren't alone.

Just remembering is tearing me up.

Sending you all hugs

Donna