Portacath insertion tomorrow...

yetbeung
yetbeung Member Posts: 167
edited November 2013 in General discussion
Portacath insertion tomorrow...errrrk!! I still can't get my head around the fact that someone will be cutting me while l'm partially awake!

I've requested as much sedation as possible - but it's intravenous sedation so still nervous about that...l'm going to slather both hands & elbows with Emla - seriously, l HATE procedures / injections this much! & the breast care nurse has kindly told me approx. where it will be going, so Emla there too...

I'm honestly more concerned about tomorrow than l am about getting chemo...weird, l know!

Off to get my mum from the station, she is nice enough to let me squash her hand through all this!!

Comments

• JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015

Hi there,

I had my port in 4.5 weeks ago under twilight sedation.

Im the biggest sooky lala ever and I handled it ok. I was so surprised how good I was. it was so quick. 

My port was used for the first time 2 weeks ago for bloods and my first chemo round and it was really good.

Im so glad I got it put in..

If I can do it, anyone can hehe

Jodie xxx

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015

Hi there,

I had my port in 4.5 weeks ago under twilight sedation.

Im the biggest sooky lala ever and I handled it ok. I was so surprised how good I was. it was so quick. 

My port was used for the first time 2 weeks ago for bloods and my first chemo round and it was really good.

Im so glad I got it put in..

If I can do it, anyone can hehe

Jodie xxx

• Tracy62
    Tracy62 Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015

Hi - I have had awake intubation done and, though I was stressed before it, it all went fine. They actually asked me how much did I want to remember and I told them nothing! All I remembered was one squirt of spray in my throat and a little tickle in the back of my throat and that's all. Was told I was coghing a lot and they had to keep stopping and take it very slowly - but I didn't remember any of it. So hoping it will be the same for you. Tracy xxx

• Tracy62
    edited March 2015

Hi - I have had awake intubation done and, though I was stressed before it, it all went fine. They actually asked me how much did I want to remember and I told them nothing! All I remembered was one squirt of spray in my throat and a little tickle in the back of my throat and that's all. Was told I was coghing a lot and they had to keep stopping and take it very slowly - but I didn't remember any of it. So hoping it will be the same for you. Tracy xxx

• Tracy62
    edited March 2015

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015

Hope it all went well.

jodie xx

• yetbeung
    yetbeung Member Posts: 167
    edited March 2015
    Back home now, of course the veins weren't co-operating & the drip went in in the only non-emla'ed spot...! It was over quickly, in bed now, local anaesthetic is wearing off & it's uncomfortable! Also bleeding a fair bit, hoping that's ok...

But l did it!! Cheers for me & boobie :-)
  • Casjsa
    Casjsa Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2015

Mine goes in tomorrow morning, I'm on the surgeons list as second up and expect to be started at 9.30am.  I'm told by his receptionists that he does it under general anesthetic and I hope they are right because I've had a twilight anesthetic before and I didn't like it at all.

Cas 

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015

Oh Cas! I forgot it was tomorow! Ill be thinking of you.

Your a strong lady and Ill know you will be fine! 

xxxxx

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015

Oh Cas! I forgot it was tomorow! Ill be thinking of you.

Your a strong lady and Ill know you will be fine! 

xxxxx

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    I'm glad it's all over for you and you're home recovering. This whole journey is 'one day at a time' isn't it. That's one of my mantras and I have been listening to the song very often throughout my journey.

So chemo coming up for you Bobbie. I'm sending you good vibes and hope you can get through that too with a minimum of side effects.

Love Janey xxx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    I'm glad it's all over for you and you're home recovering. This whole journey is 'one day at a time' isn't it. That's one of my mantras and I have been listening to the song very often throughout my journey.

So chemo coming up for you Bobbie. I'm sending you good vibes and hope you can get through that too with a minimum of side effects.

Love Janey xxx
  • Casjsa
    Casjsa Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2015

Thanks Jodie,

I know I'll be fine, I'm more upset at the uni at the moment :)  So now I will have a funnel for the roundup and a ferret for my head.  wooo hooo....I feel so privileged... :P

Cas xxxxxxx (for you Jodie)

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015

hehehe you amaze me with your sense of humour.

You sure bring a smile to my face cas xx