Perjeta

Options
pamjau
pamjau Member Posts: 20
edited November 2013 in General discussion

My Niece has recently been diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  She starts on Perjeta today, but because it is not on the PBS she will have to contribute $13,000, she is a Public Patient.

I'm shocked! Why is this drug not on the PBS???

Comments

• Annie Gayed
    Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Pam,

This is Annie from BCNA's Policy Team.

Perjeta was only recently approved for use in Australia. BCNA understands that next year the government will be considering whether or not to list Perjeta on the PBS.

BCNA strongly supports the listing of Perjeta on the PBS. We wrote about it in our 2013 Federal Election Submission, and next year we will be putting in a submission to support its listing on the PBS.

We'll definitely keep you updated through our website and The Beacon magazine.

Pam I wish your Niece all the best with her treatment. Please let her know that she can contact us with any queries.

~Annie

• Annie Gayed
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Pam,

Perjeta was only recently approved for use in Australia. BCNA understands that next year the government will be considering whether or not to list Perjeta on the PBS.

BCNA strongly supports the listing of Perjeta on the PBS. We wrote about it in our 2013 Federal Election Submission, and next year we will be putting in a submission to support its listing on the PBS.

Pam I wish your Niece all the best with her treatment. Please let her know that she can contact us with any queries.

~Annie

• Annie Gayed
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Pam,

~Annie

• pamjau
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for the information, i hope it does get passed soon..

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lets all keep our fingers crossed that this new drug is put on the PBS in Australia as soon as possible! People on a low income will certainly struggle to find $13,000 to pay for this life saving treatment :(

• pamjau
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for your support , i will pass it on, that she is not alone... Pam xx

• pamjau
    edited March 2015
    Options

Apparently there are only  three part  payments accepted, but they are only 2 weeks apart.  $5k, $4k, $4k,. How ridiculous with someone on a low income, i know i could never pay it...

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

So what happens if you can't afford it? What happens if you are on Centrelink benefits and struggling to make ends meet day to day, let alone find $13,000 for medical treatment? Do they just leave you to die?...

• Annie Gayed
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Celbird,

If you can't afford it, it's a good idea to speak with your medical oncologist. In some cases, pharmaceutical companies can consider requests from medical oncologists for drugs to be provided free of charge on compassionate grounds.

~Annie