Any recommendations?

Options
Hazel M
Hazel M Member Posts: 708
edited November 2013 in General discussion

Hi Ladies,

Going to lose my hair in about a week. I have googled some sites, lots and lots of sites! Thought some nice scarves would be the go.

I was looking for a reputable site without any delivery problems. Would appreciate any tips, advice.

I 'm not a sewing person or for that matter, a creative person. Thought being proactive rather than reactive would be better.

Thanks heaps for any help.
Hazel xx

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I got most of my headgear from www.headcovers.com in the USA. I bought a few caps,bandanas and head pieces with scarf thingies attached.It was easy -just shopped online,paid and it was all delivered to my door within a week or so.I liked the caps cos I didn't feel quite so self conscious.I had an expensive real hair wig but didn't wear it much cos it was soooo hot and itchy.With real hair ones you have to wash and then restyle them which is a pain.It's not too bad in winter but in summer it was unbearable to wear. My tip is to dress from the head down.Depending where and what,dress your head first then work out what outfit to wear.Many a time I ended up looking like a gypsy,a biker chick or  some washer woman! Good luck,you'll work out quickly what best suits you. love,Tonya xx

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Hazel,I love my little caps and turbans.I also have a couple of bandanas that are great too.I have got mine from 3 places.Hathouse,which is an online shop in Melbourne,and really efficient with delivery.Their things are exactly as they say .Also I have Pink Sisters hats.I love the little pull on caps.They are inexpensive,so you can order a few different colours.I have also bought from Headcovers,like Tonya said.I didn't bother with a wig,and I am glad that I made that decision.I really like just being able to pull on a cap in a couple of seconds.There are no problems with how it is sitting,or if it has moved.Too easy! I nearly forgot,the Cancer Council have an online shop with hats and turbans etc. also.Happy shopping Hazel.Robynxoxox
  • JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options

My hair got shaved off 2 hours ago.

ive shopped at headcovers.com as well. I just placed my second order.

I also have a wig which I will wear every day at work. Im a hairdresser by trade and losing my hair tonight was the hardest thing ive done. 

But, I did it, balled my eyes out then dried my tears and here I am posting xxx

jodie

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just sent you a message and here you are! I know how you felt in shaving your head. I was the same. You do get used to it honey.
    Love to you
    Janey xxx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Hazel. The girls have given you some great websites to look for headgear. I didn't bother with a wig either but if I was working, it may have been a different story though. I did try on some wigs and I felt they were too hot and itchy for me.

I just got myself some colourful scarves and twisted them around my head. There are some YouTube tutorials on how to tie scarves and I soon got in to the swing of some creative twisting. I found it very simple to do too. I find I look at scarves in shops now rather than clothes :) Just a tip though, don't get any silk scarves as they can slip off your head. Easier to go with cotton.

Deanne mentioned the Look Good Feel Better workshop which I found to be very helpful. I'd highly recommend going if you haven't been already. You can book online at http://lgfb.org.au/lgfb_wp/ or call them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Hazel.

Love Janey xxx
  • JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just replied xx

• Hazel M
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks to everyone, i apppreciate your posts. Going to order from headcovers as i like their scarves the best, colours are great. I am not working throughout this, so i won't get a wig, i would be fidgeting so much all the time, it would defeat the purpose of wanting to feel comfortable. You know? One of the most positive things to come out of all of this, might be that i will be a more confident person:) 

• Hazel M
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks to everyone, i apppreciate your posts. Going to order from headcovers as i like their scarves the best, colours are great. I am not working throughout this, so i won't get a wig, i would be fidgeting so much all the time, it would defeat the purpose of wanting to feel comfortable. You know? One of the most positive things to come out of all of this, might be that i will be a more confident person:) 

• magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2015
    Options

I wore a wig for work. I couldn't wear a hat or a scarf for that.

I really loved the LGFB workshop, incredibly helpful and good suggestions. I bought some hats from Cancer Council, some from headcovers.com and some scarves. I decorated tham with flowers, brooches, ribbons - whatever I felt like at the time.

I have had my haircut now twice since it grew back ! And I had my colour put back in, white was NOT the new me.

Good luck,

magicmum