10,000+ members!

Options
Michelle_R
Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

I would like to post about my story, how BCNA helped me, and how I try to give back some of the wonderful support I received.

Despite regular mammograms and ultrasounds, I found my lump in the shower last year.  It was a large fast-growing mass, and a core biopsy showed high grade malignancy, suspicious for lymph invasion.  My GP immediately referred me to a breast surgeon, and said to walk there now, and hand the referral in personally.  I did, feeling as though I had been hit by a train.

After the longest Easter break ever, I saw the surgeon. Because there was some family history, we decided on a bilateral mastectomy to take place 4 days later.

This when I first went to the BCNA website, and the women there inspired me with their strength and their courage.  They responded with so much support and advice I will forever be grateful.

I was being strong for my 4 sons, all grown, but who always thought I was immortal, and for my husband, who is a positive-thinker and always my rock in any storm.  We both took a very positive approach from Day 1 – it is what it is so let’s deal with it!

My tumour was 3.5cm with no node involvement and clear margins.  But it was Triple Negative and Metaplastic – a nasty little bug. My surgeon referred me to my Medical Oncologist, who started chemo 3 weeks later, first implanting a portacath for the 12 weekly infusions.  The time passed very fast and apart from a few aches and the expected fatigue, I came through well.  It was decided to do 28 radiation treatments, and then a hysterectomy.  It all flowed from one thing to another with impressive efficiency, and suddenly it was all done.  I will be forever grateful for my multi-disciplinary team here at Premion Place on the Gold Coast. They were absolutely wonderful.

Throughout the whole journey I was in contact with my pink sisters on BCNA, and their unfailing support was the glue that held the whole thing together.  Since then I have regularly contacted newbies to the site, who were as frightened of the unknown as I was before them. Together we have all become more informed, held each other’s hands over rough spots, and spread love and support wherever it was needed. Words could not explain how much the site has meant to me, and still does.

Happy Christmas everyone – we are still here and we are still fighting – love to you all,

Michelle xxx

Comments

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are inspirational, michelle. I can remember only a few weeks ago when I first went on the site, you were one of the first to contact me. I was scared and unsure and altogether not very confident. My attitude has changed for the better, and it is because of you and all the other wonderful ladies on this site. You look beautiful in your photo, by the way. I would like to wish you a wonderful festive season. Thank you,

Hazel xx

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Michelle, I will always be grateful to you for your wonderful support and being my first contact on BCNA. You have such a beautiful way of writing your thoughts, it's truly inspiring.

You have a shining light which shows through in your lovely face. So calm and reassuring.

Thank you so very much
    Love Janey xxx
  • Casjsa
    Casjsa Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just love you to bits Michelle, you're a fabulous inspiration to all of us.  My oncology is now going to be at Premion with a new oncologist and I can't wait to get there and get it over with.

You have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends.

Thank you for being here,

Cas

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a nice story to deliver.  I remember you so well from the beginning.  Isn't it great to get to the end of the tunnel.  i spoke on behalf of BCNA at a gathering yesterday.  My theme is always about the support BCNA offers and the wonderful friendships that are formed through their organisation.  Lovely to see you all "put back together again".  I am hoping to get some normal back by returning to work soon.  We will be in Bribane southside for Xmas this year.  Love and blessings to you and your family. XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a nice story to deliver.  I remember you so well from the beginning.  Isn't it great to get to the end of the tunnel.  i spoke on behalf of BCNA at a gathering yesterday.  My theme is always about the support BCNA offers and the wonderful friendships that are formed through their organisation.  Lovely to see you all "put back together again".  I am hoping to get some normal back by returning to work soon.  We will be in Bribane southside for Xmas this year.  Love and blessings to you and your family. XLeonie

• Ruth70
    Ruth70 Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are amazing Michelle, thank you for your kind words when I was first diagnosed.

We are all warrior women when we are given this news, and what amazing women we become. I am much stronger, much enlightened and feel we are blessed to be in such a supportive community.

May 2014 bring us all good health and many happy times ahead.

Ruth