ABC Radio interview-breast memory casting

Options
LouiseTurner
LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
edited August 2013 in Community news and events

Hi ladies,

A few weeks back I was invited to chat on ABC Central Coast Local radio about Breast Memory Casting. It progressed into a discussion about breast reconstruction. It wasn't really my intention to speak publicly about myself like that but I had such lovely feedback from my friends that I thought I'd share it.

The Breast Memory casting was done by Pickledtink

Louie

Comments

• LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options

My hubby laying on the plaster......

• LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options

My hubby laying on the plaster......

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just listened to your radio interview and you were AWESOME!!!!!! It's great you advertised BCNA-you should think about becoming a community liaison. I love your plaster cast.You can have it done in Sydney-my art therapist is in the know.Hope you are feeling well now after that gruelling surgery.

Tonya xx

• LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great that you had a listen. He is a very genuine and sensitive presenter which made it easy.

I am actually going to the Community Liaison training in September. It represents a nice change from TAFE which is in the ugly world of restructure right now.

I am very well now after my April surgery. Too well in fact and need to stop eating and get moving again. I have revision surgery in October and hope to be over it all by January 2014.

Nice to hear from you, Louise

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm so glad you are doing the CLO training-you will be great.You will enjoy the 2 day training in Melbourne.They pack a lot in and you'll meet lovely women.  The staff at BCNA are a really special bunch of women. I love it and it's given me a means of redirecting my nursing skills.I left my job(early childhood nurse)  about 2 years ago after being at the same place for 16 years.I just woke up one day and snapped! The time was right though- I was 56 and about to move/downsize house and I'd just climbed back onto my perch from a second bout of breast cancer.I haven't missed work yet and I've never been busier!  Good luck for September.   Love,Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm so glad you are doing the CLO training-you will be great.You will enjoy the 2 day training in Melbourne.They pack a lot in and you'll meet lovely women.  The staff at BCNA are a really special bunch of women. I love it and it's given me a means of redirecting my nursing skills.I left my job(early childhood nurse)  about 2 years ago after being at the same place for 16 years.I just woke up one day and snapped! The time was right though- I was 56 and about to move/downsize house and I'd just climbed back onto my perch from a second bout of breast cancer.I haven't missed work yet and I've never been busier!  Good luck for September.   Love,Tonya xx

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Loiuse, I too am going to the Community Liasion training in September. I look forward to meeting you. Love Chris xx
  • LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Excellent , see you then.
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just wanted to tell you how great I thought you were in your interview.

All the best with your Community Liaison training - you will be a natural.

I will be thinking of you in October when you have your revision surgery.

Michelle xx

• LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's lovely to hear from you, I am looking forward to October.....but my onc wants me to put it off till herceptin is finished. I really don't want to, we'll see.
    Louie
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just listened to your radio interview. I was really impressed and you sounded so natural. It's also great that reconstruction is being talked about publicly more so congratulations on being an 'ambassador' for us.

I'm sorry your Onc has asked you to put off your revision op in October. Does he/she have a reason? I'm booked in for surgery (the big op) 10th Sept and if like you I have revision surgery, I'm guessing that it will be around the end of the year or early next year. My Herceptin isn't due to finish until end March 2013. It would be awful to have to wait until then!

I really think you will excel in community liaison Louie. You've been so helpful here on this site. Good luck with it all.
    Love Janey xxx

• Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just reposted the 'resource' post. Good suggestion.

I did actually settle on both breasts but am now still wavering. Especially after seeing my surgeon. He wasn't trying to talk me out of having the other breast done but he wanted me to be absolutely sure. I will wait for the counselling and second opinion before I finally make the decision. My PS has discussed with me the DIEP procedure as long as I have a good blood supply. I've just had a CT scan to test this.

Yes I am on Herceptin as well as Femara. I won't need to stop the Femara apparently but I do now remember my Onc saying that the Herceptin might be delayed for surgery. I'm seeing her again this Wednesday and will clarify that.

I'll keep you posted.

Love Janey xx
  • LouiseTurner
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's such a big decision about 1 or both breasts. I guess if you worry this much about if its the right decision, you will probably continue to worry if you choose just the 1.

You'll know if you have decided when you can stop thinking about it every moment of the day.

The double op is huge, longer, harder on the surgeons but it's the tummy area that is the difficult part in terms of recovery (of course thats after the tissue flaps have settled in). So one or both breasts the tummy area will be the same I think.

Sounds like you have a great surgeon, one willing to advise but not make your decision.

Big hugs
    Lou

• Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're right if course. My husband just said if I made the decision just to have the one off, I'd be worrying and regretting it all the time afterwards. We both have reached that conclusion I think so it looks like two. I wish I'd stop dreaming about it all though!
  • Jenchelmaier
    Jenchelmaier Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey Louie just listened to your interview on the ABC you were fantastic ! You go girl ! X Jen