Nearly through Radiation

NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
edited June 2013 in General discussion

Well I have one red boob, that looks like I went out in the sun for 2 hours and forgot the sunscreen.  I am doing really well though, it doesnt hurt as much as bad sun burn for me, and the itch is mild.  I hate to brag because I still have until the 11th.  I have had aches in the joints, thought I had instant arthristis, but havent needed to hop into Paracetamol, so Im putting that into the not too bad category.  I feel a bit more alert, not like when I was on chemo nearly getting run over crossing the road, and the 6 weeks later to gain some energy.  I feel the sleep is the key, and just doing a bit of house work each day, a half hour of exercise and healthy food.  Have re-introduced a bit of meat and a couple of glasses of wine, and using some packets and jars even though there are chemicals involved.  My doctor said Id been unnecessarily strict with my diet, so I have relaxed it a bit, so I dont drive my husband crazy.  Still avoid sugar though, still have kept the weight I lost off.  I am sleeping well at night, its now 2 months since Chemo  finished.  I have been into my work place so my boss can sign the Guild forms for me to commence my studies once I return to my job in October.  (estimated time.  He is going on a months holiday in September so bad luck if I was planning to go back earlier).  I was worried about how I would be received in my work place because Id only been there for 5 months before I got Cancer.  They all seem fine, it was me that created the monster in my own mind for that.  I had  a counselling session because I was starting to worry about how long I would live for, and a few other tough questions and I bounced back after that.  I made the decision that it was pointless asking my Doctor that question because he isnt Psychic.  My husband decided he needed to buy a motor bike - to reduce his stress. (I am smiling), and I think thats ok because it has been a sh....  8 months.  I still remain involved with BCNA because I am supporting all the new ladies who have just been diagnosed.  That meant the world to me, and I am Paying It Forward.  Big Smile xx BEL

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the update-sounds like you and your boob have fared radiation quite well.Not long to go now.Will you be on Tamoxifen or other meds? I think it's great that you are"paying it forward".You are now a fountain of bc knowledge.Sharing it on this network helps many women.I feel a sense of belonging at this network and unfortunately,I didn't feel that on my return to work.I can't explain it but after 16 years in the same job I just up and left. I also sold my house of 23 years and downsized to a single level home.Yeh,I went abit crazy! But I felt I needed to make changes to reduce stress.I have since trained to be a community liaison for BCNA and started a support group in my area.Funny how bc can send you down a different path. Best of luck Bel for the next 11 days but I think you are home and hosed!

Tonya xx

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Wow what a different lady , you've come a long way, hey isn't it funny when we look back and think whoa where did that go, we were asking the questions and now we are the responders ,or wasn't I being a twit at one time or another?I find I'm a bit euphoric lets hope it's me and not the meds! Love adean x
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Wow what a different lady , you've come a long way, hey isn't it funny when we look back and think whoa where did that go, we were asking the questions and now we are the responders ,or wasn't I being a twit at one time or another?I find I'm a bit euphoric lets hope it's me and not the meds! Love adean x
  • Nessk
    Nessk Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Great to hear your doing really well. Well done your nearly finished Rads. What have you been using on your skin?  Vanessa x
  • NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015

Sorbelene cream, and Hamiltons Urederm.  I am slack and only put it on once a night.  I had mild itch and used the DermAid Soft 1% (pink writing, sensitive skin), which I had at home anyway.  The doctor wrote a script, to save money, I used DermAid.  Itchiness is a side effect, and because mine isnt too bad, I got away with small tube.  Its to be used sparingly when used.  The script comes in 2 large tubes and is stronger.  I also take off my bra when I can each day, and they are telling me that is a good idea.  The benefit of not going to work.  I am also not doing much, have a rest every afternoon.  I was advised that if you make yourself have a rest each day it will quicken your recovery.  x Bel

• terrymoore
    terrymoore Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2015

wow Bel its so good to see you so positive and ready to take on whatever !! you are a great online friend and Im so glad you have nearly got through cheers

Terry